Cockroaches Could Help Save Trapped Disaster Victims

Quote:
A system enabling cockroaches to locate trapped disaster victims is in development by researchers from North Carolina State University. Based on the findings of Dr. Alper Bozkurt and his team, each “biobot” consists of a Madagascar hissing cockroach that carries a “backpack” equipped with a microchip, wireless receiver/transmitter, and microcontroller wired to the insect’s antennae and cerci.
Endquote

I know that animals like horses, dogs, elephants and monkeys are trained to help doing chores for humans. Yet, I have a niggling doubt about the ethics of biobots like these. The poor roaches are going quietly about their business of frightening ladies, getting on to food and generally making a nuisance of themselves. Is it ethical to fix them up with control cards and manipulate them like this?
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Quote: Lasers have been used to transform metals into super-hydrophobic materials without the need for temporary coatings. Such water-repellent materials are desirable for a number of applications such as rust...
Came in Mail: https://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/99...rk=cr4digest&et_rid=419257195&et_mid=74015204
I am looking for a laptop in which I am planning to flash Coreboot over UEFI. Never was an admirer of UEFI crap. Coreboot looks awesome. AMD chipset preferable, not...
hi I read your piece and would like to clarify my doubt . I will be passing out in 2015. Currently I have two job offers with me, one is...
Sir... I am fresher completed Mca i would like to business opportunity...