CO2 and lithium nitride (Li3N) Reaction produces energy

Michigan Technological University professor Yun Hang Hu and his research team found out that energy can be generated through reaction between CO2 and Lithium Nitride (Li3N). The team found out that Reacting lithium nitride with carbon dioxide resulted in amorphous carbon nitride (C3N4), a semiconductor, and lithium cyanamide (Li2CN2), a precursor to fertilizers.

When the reaction takes place at 330° C (626° F), the surrounding temperature shot up almost immediately to 1,000° C (1,832° F).

Just thought of popping a question to Chemical Engineers about their thoughts on this and whether this will help in reducing the carbon footprint all over the globe. Are we seeking our future in Li3N production? What say you?

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Lithium is an Alkali metal such as sodium and potassium (the big K of the periodic table). Li3N is the only stable nitride of alkali metals. Its main potential use is in the storage of hydrogen. The problem is that it reacts violently with water to release ammonia gas.
    Prof. Hu's experiment is interesting. We have to wait to see the commercial viability of the process. However, it does help in harvesting CO2 and reducing Carbon foot print. The exothermic reaction is the key element in this. For the first time I have across a reaction involving CO2 that does not consume energy.
    Being very reactive, Lithium does not occur in the free state in nature. The cost of producing Li3N and the energies involved in that have to be studied before any conclusions can be drawn.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I see. Li3N indeed is interesting. Just wondering, apart from the commercial viability; is there anything else that can go against the large scale production of Li3N?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The_Big_K
    I see. Li3N indeed is interesting. Just wondering, apart from the commercial viability; is there anything else that can go against the large scale production of Li3N?
    Not that I can point a finger at immediately. It is very reactive. Has to be stored carefully, probably in distributed lots to minimize hazards.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The modern electrical engineer isn't limited to circuits. The modern tools require electrical engineers to have knowledge of programming languages as well. I compiled a list of the best programming...
Hi I am a java and android developer i am planning to give a seminar in my organisation, can any one help me with some good, new and challenging topic...
hi guys Is there any difference between IT, computer science and engineering and software engineering ?
I am writing my final year project on the topic DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF A REMOTE CONTROLLED INVERTER SYSTEMS(500W). I am seeeking help on this topic firstly in the form...
Name:AYUSH KUMAR Engineering Trade:MECHANICAL ENGINEERING Location😛ATNA Occupation: STUDENT Work Experience: Hobbies & Interests: NET SURFING AND CREATING NEW THINGS Aim in life: TO BE A MECHANICAL ENGINEER.... I joined CrazyEngineers...