Circle is special

Why differentiation of area of circle is its circumference
And vice versa while integrating ??

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    The differentiation of area of circle is 2*pi*r dr

Do not forget the "dr".

whereas the circumference formula is just 2*pi*r.

And the circumference formula cannot be integrated unless it has a "dr" along with it.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    If f(x) = a x^b , then df(x)/dx = abX^(b-1)
    It just happens that the area of the circle has a differential equal to the circumference as a consequence of the above.
    See what happens if you use the area of the circle as a function of the diameter.

Area = (pi/4)D^2
    The differential wrt d = (pi/2)D, which is not the circumference.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    A.V.Ramani
    It just happens that the area of the circle has a differential equal to the circumference as a consequence of the above.
    See what happens if you use the area of the circle as a function of the diameter.

Area = (pi/4)D^2
    That is some logic.
  • Shah Sharath
    Shah Sharath
    A.V.Ramani

Area = (pi/4)D^2
    A.V.Ramani

Area = (pi/4)D^2
    OH!!!!! that not working for diameter....
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Shah Sharath
    Why differentiation of area of circle is its circumference
    And vice versa while integrating ??

First of all, let me immensely thank you for this acute observation. I have been studying Math for years and have never seen that fact standing right there in front of me. This got me thinking. And that is something I love. Apart from the rote d/dr purely mechanical explanation of why the area derivated equals circumference and the circumference integrated equals area, I wanted to have a better analytical explanation for your question.

I hope I have made myself plenty clear. Please let me know if this clears your doubt.

Once again, Thank you. Keep the curiosity up, challenge everything!
  • shiwa436
    shiwa436
    As from the definitions of integration and differentiation from the Wikipedia,
    Integration of perimeter 2pir with respect to its radius r gives its signed area in both the planes i.e x, y planes..

Differential gives sensitivity of position of y axis equivalent w.r.t x axis one... i.e position of a dot on the edge along the diameter
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Please be more detail. Your answer is more "cryptic", please make sure it is described in the simplest of words.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    shiwa436
    As from the definitions of integration and differentiation from the Wikipedia,
    Integration of perimeter 2pir with respect to its radius r gives its signed area in both the planes i.e x, y planes..
    Differential gives sensitivity of position of y axis equivalent w.r.t x axis one... i.e position of a dot on the edge along the diameter
    Please study the problem in detail and refelect on the actions performed.
    There is no 'x' plane or 'y' plane. There is an x-y plane. The circle can be on any plane x-y or something else.
    In this example the differential gives the length of the perimeter, not a point on the circumference.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung Galaxy Y, Ace I, Pocket, Mini I are the android devices which were deferred to Android update of 4.0+ due to the chipset used within it 'Broadcomm BCM 21553'....
Apple is all geared up to showcase its "iOS in the car" initiative with Ferrari, Volvo and Mercedes Benz at the Geneva Motor Show scheduled next week. It has chosen...
IEEE has come up with an interesting collection of 25 chips which they think have shaped the future. The entire article can be found here. What chips apart from those...
In a bid to persuade customers to upgrade to latest versions, Microsoft is planning to announce a free version of the Windows 8.1 operating system. According to a report in...
Digital Single Lens Reflex Cameras aka DSLRs are made as shown in the video below: