China's new skyscraper is getting a new floor every 4 days!

China's new skyscraper, "ping an international finance center" is opening a new chapter in rapid construction of super tall. The soon to be one of the tallest building in entire China and the world, the construction team is putting up a new floor in the building every 4 days! Once complete, the ping an international finance centre will have a total height of 660 meters and 115 floors. It will be second tallest building in the world, second only to William F. Baker - Building The Tallest Sky Buster: Burj Dubai.

chinas-tallest-skyscraper-shenzhen-kohn-pedersen-fox-kpf-designboom-01

Note that the speed of construction is quite breathtaking. Burj Khalifa and One World Trade centers were constructed at a much slower rate, with each floor taking about 7-8 days to complete. The credit goes to the designers of the building - kohn pedersen fox (KPF). The designers focused on reducing the 'embodied energy' as well as 'embodied carbon' - the terms that relate to the overall energy put into various construction activities. We've a video that talks about the concept. We encourage our Civil and Structural engineers to have a look -

The construction is scheduled to conclude in 2016. By the time this building is constructed, another building "Sky City" is expected to grab the title of the China's tallest building. Note that the Chinese aren't doing this for the first time. They built a 30 Storey Building Constructed In 15 Days! Broad Group's Timelapse Video. Incredible, isn't it?

Source: china's tallest skyscraper under construction: one floor every four days

Replies

• KSS Manian
    KSS Manian
    There are different methodologies followed in the construction of steel and concrete structures.
    In steel you can lift up the floor with in a day, if you are having a required man power, Materials and machines.
    In concrete there are several conditions applied, Minimum curing period, Minimum period for removing the shuttering, Minimum days required to cast the slab.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - Thank you for the information. Do the skyscrapers use different material than cement? I've briefly heard about the pre-fabricated sheets being used for rapid construction. Not sure what they use though.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We've moved the search button at the top and it now appears as a magnifying glass. It does not occupy the space adjacent to the breadcrumbs and the search remains...
We have recently heard about various 3D pens, one of them was 3Doodler, which uses plastic ink to draw 3D objects in air. The project successfully raised US $2.3 million...
What happens when an unstoppable force meets a renewable energy? An awful amount of work is done. The unstoppable force I’m referring to is Elon Musk who recently released his...
Hi, I've completed M.C.A. I'm having 17 Yrs of experience in Software Dev/product Development. Now, I'm interested in doing Ph.d and looking for suggestions in selecting an area/topic, which will...
The search engine on CrazyEngineers' has just get got better. Here's an overview of what's new with the search:- The results are now sorted by relevancy (earlier it was based...