China launched two satellites to advance BeiDou, its own GPS rival

China has launched two new satellites to advance its own navigational system called BeiDou aka COMPASS; which will rival the American GPS (Global Positioning System). The new satellites were launched from Xichang Satellite Launch Center in the Sichuan at about 8:29 pm, local time. These two satellites are numbered 18 and 19 among a total of about 35 satellites that will ultimately form the navigation system.

This was China's third satellite launch in this year and once complete, China aims to have global coverage. China already had its first BeiDou navigation system in place since year 2000; but with only three satellites, it offered a very limited coverage and applications. The current system is officially called BeiDou-2. It began functioning in China in 2011 with just about 10 satellites and later on expanded to APAC region towards end of 2012.

BeiDou-China-Satellite-Launch

Chinese space agency CNSA aka China National Space Administration expects to have a fully functional navigation system by 2020, with pan-world coverage. Note that India's #-Link-Snipped-# is also building its own GPS rival that goes by the name 'IRNSS - Satellite of Indian Regional Navigation Satellite System Ready For Launch'. Apart from India and United States, Russia has GLONASS and Europe has its own Galileo navigation system.

The BeiDou system is currently available for civilian services and used in transportation and weather forecasting. Additional coverage on the source link below.

Source: China launches two satellites as it builds GPS rival - The Economic Times

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Sony Corporation has made a major addition to its television portfolio by introducing several Android TVs to its lineup in India. By adopting the Android 5.0 (Lollipop), the company is...
iam a btech final year aeronautical student. pleasee suggest some topics for my main project..
Inspired from the several discussions going on CrazyEngineers about business ideas for electrical engineers, I thought we should have one for civil engineers as well. A lot of engineers from...
I am sure beginners like me who've started reading and writing about car only a few years back had a tough time understanding what certain car specifications meant. I realized...
Recently I was joined to internship for one month and I didn't got any certificate from them for what I did there in a small industry but I won't worry...