Chemists At UCLA Develop Solar Cells Inspired From Plants

Imagine yourself enjoying high-voltage requiring appliances such as air-conditioners, microwaves etc. in your home throughout the day, without incurring heavy bills. A team of chemists at University of California, Los Angeles is working on a technology to make this a reality. They have developed a technology can store energy, just like plants, for weeks. Using the existing technologies, solar panels on rooftops can store solar energy only for microseconds. The UCLA team led by Sarah Tolber, a chemistry professor, has made it possible for solar cells to store energy for longer amount of time. This technology has been inspired by natural energy generated by the process of plant photosynthesis.

Chemists-at-UCLA-develop-plant-inspired-solar-cells

The team first selected a few plant leaves and analysed them. They found tiny nano-structures, which separate positively and negatively charged particles. These nano-structures were found to increase the efficiency of photosynthesis. Therefore, the researchers decided to replicate these nano-structures and deploy the replicas in a system that could potentially store energy for weeks or months.

The system consists of a “noodle and meatball structure”, out of which some of the 'meatballs (fullerene acceptor) are placed within the 'noodle structure' (polymer donor) while the rest of the fullerene acceptors stay outside. The acceptors that stay inside assemble the electrons and pas them to the fullerene acceptors that stay outside. The charge that need to be stored is stored from the 'noodle structure' for weeks. The whole system can be assembled automatically when kept in water.

Though the technology is in a nascent stage, the researchers are working to use it in existing solar cells. The deployment and commercial availability of the technology may need some time. One of the advantages of this technology is that it is cost-effective because it requires the use of plastics instead of silicone, that is being used in existing solar panels.

This UCLA technology could cause a breakthrough in the energy storage systems, thus paving the way to providing unlimited and incessant energy throughout the day.

How do you find this new technology from UCLA team? Do you think it could solve the existing problem of energy inefficiency and unavailability in many parts of world, including India? Share your views with us in the comments' section below.

Source: UCLA chemists devise technology that could transform solar energy storage | UCLA

Replies

• Joseph Christie
    Joseph Christie
    Why, this would be most outstanding invention if the scientists ever achieved to harness solar energy via the chlorophyll of the green plants and trees ! This extraction of solar energy in the form of electrical energy ( utilizing the chlorophylls ,cytochromes etc) is a thought that flashed through my mind several years ago, when I was immersed in biochemistry and electron transfer process as a researcher at Rice University. Am I glad some ingenious researchers at UCLA have embarked on this problem today ?. It ain't going to be easy but with sustained effort , who knows, it may very well become a reality before long,

The use of fullerenes in this work is quite innovative, considering the fact these carbon allotropes were unknown before the Rice University chemists synthesized and characterized them for the first time, and winning the Nobel prize in chemistry.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Apple iPhone may ditch the Home key that occupies significant space on the front and also doubles as a fingerprint sensor. AppleInsider (AI)has reported that the long term goal of...
Hello,I wanted to know that which programming languages are used in robotics,..
PLEASE HELP ME TO CALCULATE THE REQUIRED TORQUE TO ROTATE A 250 MM DIA 5 MM THICK MILD STEEL DISC WITH 10 RPM.
from Germany, I hope to have a good time on here! Regards, Norbert
Everyone deserves a second chance in life; especially with their email and Gmail now officially gives it to you. Google's 'Undo Send' has now become an 'official feature' in Gmail....