Changing my job or higher studies?

Hello
I am currently working as a tester in a good product company, but the fact that I do not have a degree from a Tier-1 college(Frankly, I could not see where I was going with mastering chemistry when I actually wanted to be a programmer!), I am not given that better of a responsibility which could help me learn and evolve further. I by myself keep trying to learn and improve things at every opportunity I get, but my supervisors keep changing quite often(the stress or something makes them quit).

Almost everyone I have worked with have recognized me but at the time of review there is an all new person who looks at all of it quite differently plus they are seeing a lot of attrition in the team as well and hence they are trying hardest to keep the rate low by promoting based on tenure which possibly puts them in a place where there is less risk involved in terms of losing experienced resources. This has left me almost nil on the growth line for about two years now. I want to learn things deeply and add value to my work to make things better and as this is a huge organization there is a lot of hype about defining and restricting roles, which seems to be flattening out my learning curve as well. I had to take up any job that came up because I had a loan to pay back.

Now the loan is cleared, I want to look for an opportunity to develop my career. I feel insufficiency when it comes to knowledge at some level but I can build that gap. I was thinking if I should go back to school (Get an M Tech from a Tier1 college this time + going back to learning is a pleasure of its own) and then go on building my career or just stay here and do the same (a little discouraged) or switch to a start up company which could provide me with a steeper learning and growth curves? I am definitely interested in building something - testing is not really something I love doing.

Design or development goes well but restricted to Computer Science. I am a graduate in Electronics but I understand and like Comp Sci much better now with the base of electronics, but I don't think I can do anything in Electronics. Any help in this regard will be hugely appreciated.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Welcome to CE, #-Link-Snipped-#. How many years of experience do you have as a testing engineer? Also, is it in the same organisation as you're currently with?
  • shubhaac
    shubhaac
    I have 2 years of experience with the same organization. Also this is the only experience I have.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks for the information, #-Link-Snipped-#. If you opt for post graduate studies, you should ideally be looking at a full time, 2 year course. But before you get into your dream college, you will need at least 6 months to 1 year of preparation while managing your job. To me this doesn't look like a short cut to the career path you're trying to chalk for yourself.

Why not give yourself 6 months time and make yourself awesome in the tools/technologies that will help you get your dream job? From the information you've provided, it looks like getting a new job that you'd love doing seems to be the best option available to you. There's no point in going back to electronics as you're already doing quite well in CS/Computer Programming.

'Growth' is what you want and that will come directly from switching your job and getting a better role in the technology of your choice. You need to start preparing yourself in that direction.

I hope this answers your question. If it does, buy yourself a CrazyEngineers T-Shirt 😀 and flaunt it in your office!
  • shubhaac
    shubhaac
    I could do that 😀 thanks for the help.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am not sure if my question is suitable for Engineers forum, but I thought we have lot of wanna be entrepreneurs here, what do you think is best age...
Virgin Galactic spaceship, called 'Space Ship Two' crashed during a test flight in the Mojave desert in California. The carrier craft, called the White Knight however has landed safely. The...
Bot driving skills tested by a shrewd arena! Take on this challenge to experience the most extreme difficulties faced in driving a remote controlled bot. Are you ready to face...
Facebook and anonymity have never gone hand-in-hand. A social networking website always needs access to your personal information in order to offer you its services. Facebook has been trying to...
I am trying to make this automatic rain cover system that extends a shade for my dog, when it is raining, but there is some electrode shown in the circuit...