Change in entropy in a polytropic process

how can we show that the change in entropy of an ideal gas undergoing a polytropic process 1-2 is given by
S2 - S1 = mCv (k - n) ln(V2/V1)
where the symbols have their usual meanings. ...

any help please???

Replies

• The myth buster
    The myth buster
    well i believe that instead of (k-n) term you should be having k^2-1 term in the expression..rest of it is fine..!!
  • Kyle Schieber
    Kyle Schieber
    Hello, for those who are interested in the answer:
    It all begins with these four expressions:

dQ=dU-dW (1) ->1st law (the minus sign in dW will be useful later);
    dQ=TdS (2) ->from definition of entropy for reversible processes;
    dW=PdV (3) -> Compresion-expansion work;
    dU=CvdT (4) -> for ideal gases U=U(T);

substituting (2) and (3) in (1):
    dS=(dU/T)-(PdV/T),
    inserting (4) in this expresion, and using ideal gases (PV=NRT) yields:
    dS=(CvdT/T)-(NRdV/V)
    integrating:
    S2-S1=Cvln(T2/T1)-NRln(V2/V1)

now, using T2/T1=(V2/V1)^(1-n) (from polytropic process definition coupled with ideal gas eq.), and knowing that Cp-Cv=NR (for ideal gases):
    S2-S1=ln(V2/V1)*(Cv(1-n)-NR)=ln(V2/V1)*(Cp-nCv)
    the definition of adiabatic factor is k=Cp/Cv, so:
    S2-S1=Cv*ln(V2/V1)*(k-n)
    if Cv' is the constant-volume specific heat per unit mass:

S2-S1=mCv'(k-n)*ln(V2/V1)

regards!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

is anybody have e book of "Principles of Abrasive Water Jet Machining by Momber, Andreas W., Kovacevic, Radovan , 1998," please send me e book if anybody have.
if anybody have any book or other material related to abrasive water jet machining please send me. its urgent!!!! Thanku
what is the real concepts between video conferencing and video streaming? and what is the contribution of programming in creating the video conferencing system?
HI, I am currently working on my final year project on social networks. I am using PHP and mysql for the same. But I have encountered a problem with the...
The government of my country has recently read its new budget and has announced a reduction in the subsidy for Premium Gasoline. As a result there has been an uproar...