CEoM (Engineer Of The Month) Revival

Response to CEoM died over the last few months and we're seeking ideas on how'd you like it to be revived? Our idea that we'd allot points for participation in CE didn't seem to work very well.

We're now gathering ideas on how would you like us to conduct CEoM (Crazy Engineers / Engineer Of The Month) award. Shout it out!

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Previous concept was good, I think it will be a good idea to just consider total no of likes, not total post count for giving title of CEOM, or you can also consider total number of hits a post is receiving
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Response to CEoM died over the last few months and we're seeking ideas on how'd you like it to be revived? Our idea that we'd allot points for participation in CE didn't seem to work very well.

We're now gathering ideas on how would you like us to conduct CEoM (Crazy Engineers / Engineer Of The Month) award. Shout it out!
    Firstly, decrease the prize money !

Secondly, there can be like 3 winners... only the first one be the CEOM

Third, I think every person should be automatically considered to be competing, there shouldn't be something like I need to apply for the competition...

Plus, the quality of posts should be considered, may be a person doesn't get enough likes, (quite possible sometimes) no. of hits could be a criteria as #-Link-Snipped-#said..

Last, make the goal possible to reach (Why I'm saying this, is I know we have many members, but the problem is only few are active, and only they participate in CEOM)

I hope this helps, if I got any other idea, would share it here ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    Plus, the quality of posts should be considered, may be a person doesn't get enough likes, (quite possible sometimes) no. of hits could be a criteria as
    Other points are ok, but how do we ensure this in an automated system? Any suggestions?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Ankita Katdare
    Other points are ok, but how do we ensure this in an automated system? Any suggestions?
    Yeah, I think it's quite buggy to make an automated system with this, may be moderators can increase/decrease points per post or so, for participants reviewing their performance & how are they "actually" contributing....
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Ankita Katdare
    how about giving special power to mods (may be fantastic/ awesome). to review the quality of post. on its click the participant get +3 rating.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    That sounds like a plan to me. ๐Ÿ˜€ We can even have a volunteer to monitor that. Just that it will be a full time job so that no useful post is ever missed.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Oh yes, start a referral system, and may be include it in CEOM so that people actually bring in others.

I'm aware this could cause trouble, but a referral should be considered only when like they have made their 10 posts or so...

Because ultimately, More member = More discussion = More competing = More members ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    One suggestion, I hope this would work...

Ok, consider like 3 people winning & getting the prize money, after reaching the threshold of say 10k points, next what we can do is, if other than 3, more people crossed the threshold, they would get a reward, may be less prize money (but not redeemable), that would be held from CE, and person would get that amount when he win another CEOM or come in top 3, this way he could receive the previous winnings + current winning..

And if he crosses threshold but didn't win, next time he would work even harder...
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    Sanyam Khurana
    Oh yes, start a referral system, and may be include it in CEOM so that people actually bring in others.
    I dont think referral system should be considered for CEoM.
    we already have 1.5 lakh members as of now. but the problem is most of them aren't online . they'v just created their ids and left if. we should think of bringing them online (top most priority).
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Vikram S Bargah
    I dont think referral system should be considered for CEoM.
    we already have 1.5 lakh members as of now. but the problem is most of them aren't online . they'v just created their ids and left if. we should think of bringing them online (top most priority).
    We can't actually do anything about bringing people with CE ID's back... (bitter truth)

Due to competition, people would post, bring in traffic...

I know referral system can cause trouble, that's why I said the referral should have at least 10 post or so to be considered as a Valid entry.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Manish Goyal
    Previous concept was good, I think it will be a good idea to just consider total no of likes, not total post count for giving title of CEOM, or you can also consider total number of hits a post is receiving
    This is not going to work Manish as somebody can misuse this number of hits to increase the points.

But I agree that divide the prize money to TOP-3 CEans. That will surely bring more participation.
    What is happening at moment is if somebody is leading by too much margin second number CEan stops contributing that much. But if we have Second and Third place then still there will be 4-5 CEans to grab that place and we have better content in that case.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Harshad Italiya
    This is not going to work Manish as somebody can misuse this number of hits to increase the points.

But I agree that divide the prize money to TOP-3 CEans. That will surely bring more participation.
    What is happening at moment is if somebody is leading by too much margin second number CEan stops contributing that much. But if we have Second and Third place then still there will be 4-5 CEans to grab that place and we have better content in that case.
    Yeah, that's what actually happens... completely agree.

Better yet, that's why I suggested if more than 3 CEans cross the threshold, only 3 would receive the prize, 4th, 5th etc. would get some reward but they would able to redeem it when they next time participate and come in top 3 positions...

What's the benefit is, people wouldn't loose hope in the middle, and their basic motive would shift to a threshold of around 10k points or so.... and that's what would make CE an Active forum ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    we can also award a trophy (CEoM of JUNE 14) below his name for entire month / CEoM Badge (similar to STAFF being used for mods)
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Vikram S Bargah
    we can also award a trophy (CEoM of JUNE 14) below his name for entire month / CEoM Badge (similar to STAFF being used for mods)
    Yeah, I already suggested that, and what I want is even a bigger thing implemented, once it's implemented, I know the traffic & interaction would surely boom ๐Ÿ˜
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Great ideas popping out.I like Vikram's idea if placing a trophy symbol in profile pic with description of their highly viewed article/discussion. Giveaway goodies from CE to CEans who crosses a decent rating/point which you can decide and send them a goodie representing CE. It May be a Tshirt or a Coffee mug or a Poster representing " best contributer to CE community .
    So that many would get involved and it can be a mode of spreading CE fame! because CASH prize would not be remembered for ever.
    Leaving it to mods to decide .

Free goodies to Top 10 .....
    How is it?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    First three- cash prize+CE goodie
    next seven -CE goodies
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Great suggestions so far. We wanted to make the system as automatic as possible so that there aren't any questions about favouritism.

1. We can display badges or medals below a person's profile.

2. We can award the winners with t-shirts.

Manish Goyal
    not total post count for giving title of CEOM, or you can also consider total number of hits a post is receiving
    3. Number of views can be technically included; but I'd want some more thought to go into this. Sometimes, a post may get huge number of views (University Results, CDAC related etc.) and the user himself/herself may not have put in any efforts in starting it.

4. #-Link-Snipped-# said that we should make the target achievable. I think we can definitely do this. But we don't want it to be easy either. Else there's no fun! The winner should feel proud of winning the title.

5. We'll restrict the prize to max 3 winners. However, it'd be difficult to come up with different prizes every new month if a person wins multiple times.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Kaustubh Katdare
    5. We'll restrict the prize to max 3 winners. However, it'd be difficult to come up with different prizes every new month if a person wins multiple times.
    We are going to replace Prize money with goodies?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Harshad Italiya
    We are going to replace Prize money with goodies?
    Exactly this ^^^ #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nothing's decided yet. What do you all suggest?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nothing's decided yet. What do you all suggest?
    We can Try goodies, but then as you mentioned, if someone wins multiple times he would feel bore of the prize. Isn't it?

But if we can just keep on swapping goodies, then it's good..
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    #-Link-Snipped-# Agreed but I am pretty sure xenforo guys must had considered this particular case while developing this forum i.e to avoid hits generated through same IP address not sure though

2: I agree with #-Link-Snipped-# there are times when user will post some news related to trending topic, for that case I think a algorithm should be developed to give weight age to only those thread that have minimal amount of overall likes (doesn't matter like given to sub post or main topic)

3: Along with this I would suggest a tweak in CEOM app as suggested by sanyam, i.e to give importance to likes received by some guys with special privileges for e.g if cean with Maniac title will give a like then it will add straight 25 points to the user account for rest it will add 5-10
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Regarding point #3: The system allows giving more wait to likes than everything else. I personally think the playing field should be the same for all participants. We anyway do not allow new registrations to like posts.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Any updates here
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Ankita Katdare
    There should be a system which will calculate and show the points* earned by a CEan by 25th of every month, reminder of five days it should work real time and consider only top 10 contestants.

On 25th of every month automated system should use following criterion for getting points from data base:
    - Person should have atleast 100 posts (new or reply) in first 25 days (4 posts a day?).
    - Minimum number of likes should be 25 (1 like a day?)
    - On the basis of weightage number of posts + Likes in certain sections automated system should identify top 10 contestant and those will aim for the prestigious awards (3 certificates for first three position and 1 cash prize)
    - Users can vote for the Top 10 contestants other than their own id
    - Additional 30% points from the Mod team to give due credit as per human judgement

This way we are allowing everyone to contest for the first 25 days, and will have fire in last 10 days?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

University of California, Berkeley researchers have developed a first of its kind laser sensing technology which is able to remotely sense objects that are 30 feet away (that is 10...
Intex Mobiles has launched a new android smartphone in India today called the "Intex Aqua i5 Mini", a low budget phone with above average features. Sporting a 4.5" IPS FWVGA...
My uncle is starting a television station and wants my help. Being just a final year student in electronics and commutation engineering, I've little to no knowledge about the Equipments...
Digital Projection of Atalanta unveiled this amazing projector recently. With a lamp life of over 20,000 hours and a stunning 12 K Lumen intensity it is streets ahead of competition....
A team of engineering researchers from the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology's (KAIST) MSC Lab has taken the wraps off of a new kind of robot that can...