CENTER OF GRAVITY,CENTER OF MASS. AND CENTROID

Friends help me understand how the center of mass and centroid are different from each other?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Both are similar in nature. But while calculating/ designing of shafts, we consider centroid. And while considering buoyancy and its effect, we take into account centre of mass (C.G).

Basically, Centre of mass is in 3D. Centroid(of a plane lamina) in 2D.
  • IMME
    IMME
    "while considering buoyancy and its effect, we take into account centre of mass (C.G). "
    can u explain it yr.
    shaft is also a 3-d figure. isn't it. may b u r right but i m nt gatin ur explanation.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The shaft is 3D but we design it lamina by lamina (in concept). It depends on applications like for considering the force and its effect we consider the involvement of mass hence use centre of mass. But while finding the metacentric height or diameter of shaft we concider centroid.
  • naveen94
    naveen94
    Ques-what is centroid and moment of inertia,what are its applications in engineering field.
  • iashishsarode
    iashishsarode
    Centroid is the artithmetic mean position of the object's shape.
    Moment of inertia is the force required to rotate an object. in simple words it is the resistance offered by mass on account of its distribution about the rotational axis for the rotation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello CEans, Along with EC topics we've included CS/IT topics this time. Vote for your fav topic & participate in the weekend tech discussion. Note for Mod : I forgot...
The world bank has just released the latest edition of 'Doing Business' and the report ranks India at #132 out of 185 countries included in the report. Singapore ranks #1...
hi just went through this article regarding the job market situation in the automation category... https://www.automation.com/content/automation-profession-outperforms-economy
Apple introduced the Fusion Drive in their latest line of Mac Mini and iMac. The fusion drive brings the best of the two worlds - mechanical hard disk drives and...
I wish to know how Automech works? Can someone tell me about it?