Ceiling Support

Hi all,

I'm converting a mobile home bedroom into a recording studio. I'm building a room within a room for sound isolation. Right now, I'm down to studs and subfloor.

My plan is to attach 2x4s to existing top plates and studs at opposite ends of the room to act as ceiling rim joists for the new lower ceiling. I'm going to run either 4x4s or sistered 2x4s to act as ceiling joists with each end hanging in a 4x4 joist hanger. Which would be better?

The joists will be perpendicular to existing trusses. The span is 13 feet. At midpoint of span the joists will be attached to what appears to be a 2x2 that is part of an existing truss to prevent sagging. I will also cross-brace all joists to improve rigidity.

Two 1/2" layers of drywall will be hung on the joists. I would go with bigger lumber for joists, but I'm already cramped for headroom (floor will also be raised).

I couldn't find much data on such a setup. Will this structure support the drywall? How much of the load will the center truss bear? Will it be excessive?

To handle all the extra weight of the room, I will install perimeter blocking under all the outriggers under the room and also block floor joists under walls running parallel to floor joists.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Bruce

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why not use an inflatable shelter inside the existing room only when you want to record. Deflate and store after use. Polyethylene bubble sheet lining will further reduce echoes. You can avoid all structural modifications.

inflatable shelters - Google Search

TribalWar Forums
  • Bruce Loeffler
    Bruce Loeffler
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm looking for an STC rating of 55-60 for sound isolation. That requires much mass (double layered drywall for walls and ceiling and double layered material for floor), decoupling, and damping compounds such as green glue. Sound quality will be addressed with acoustic treatment of the inner room.
  • Bruce Loeffler
    Bruce Loeffler
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm looking to get an STC rating of 55-60 for sound isolation. That requires much mass (double layered drywall for walls and ceiling and double material for floor), decoupling, and damping compounds such as green glue. Sound quality will be addressed with acoustic treatment of the inner room.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

@Aishwarya Ganesh Could you share the difference between: TIN Number & DIN Number, VAT, TAN, PAN and DSC.
According to philosophers and scientists alike, arguably the most fascinating way to experience the past is to stare at the numerous stars in the night sky, that twinkle to let...
Hi Friends, In the midst of all the epic challenges we face daily, a bunch of us friends took the time to shoot a short film. The shooting went on...
Seagate, one of the global leaders in digital storage solutions has announced its latest ultra-high storage capacity mobile hard drive in India. Officially called the 'Seagate Backup Plus Ultra Slim',...
Ever since fingerprint sensors made their way to our mobile devices for an added layer of security, they have been introduced as a separate button on the front or rear...