Catalytic Converter - How does it affect mileage?

For the under-informed [​IMG] , I own Yamaha's RX-Z and it's got a catalytic converter.

The catalytic converter has 'dumped' the 'wroom' sound of the mobike and I do not like that. So I'd like to ask the mechanical/automobile engineers these questions -

1. What does catalytic converter actually do?
2. How does it affect the mileage of motorcycle?

Enlighten all of us, guys😁

Replies

• TheBugInYou
    TheBugInYou
    Internal combustion engines produce emissions as they operate. To help reduce emissions that are harmful to our environment, catalytic converters have been developed.

A catalytic converter, is a simple device that “treats” the exhaust before it leaves a motorcycle’s exhaust system. Selected models in Yamaha’s line-up are equipped with three-way catalytic converters. “Three-way” refers to the three regulated emissions a catalyzer helps to reduce – carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and oxides of nitrogen. A catalytic converter consists of a ceramic structure coated with a metal catalyst, usually platinum, rhodium and/or palladium. The honeycomb structure of a catalytic converter allows the exhaust gases to easily pass through it. As the exhaust gases pass through the catalyzer, the platinum and palladium oxidize the hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide while the rhodium reduces the oxides of nitrogen to its elements. The end result is the catalytic converter changes harmful pollutants into less harmful by-products. The result is reduced levels of CO, HC and oxides of nitrogen in the exhaust gases. A catalyzer is normally located at the entry point of the muffler.

You must be satisfied with the above one....
  • khooper
    khooper
    Converters slow the exhaust gases and so result in a restriction in the exhaust system, this reduces performance and thus potential gas mileage.
    The design dictates whether or not it reduces performance. Most well designed units do not as many an old school racer will tell you from the days when people used to slash them. Also, performance & gas mileage are two seperate things. Since they reduce pollution & most areas require them by law, you are best served to leave them alone unless you have a race only vehicle. Cat-back mods will increase performace over stock systems (and increase noise). In that case, you get gains from changing the exhaust system to a free flow variety which provides much more power, not so much from the loss of the cat.
  • mikeross
    mikeross
    Thanks to this thread. Now i know what the #-Link-Snipped-# is for.. I even thought of removing it but I don't want to be a pollution contributor so I change my mind.😀
  • 4d1
    4d1
    The_Big_K
    For the under-informed [​IMG] , I own Yamaha's RX-Z and it's got a catalytic converter.

The catalytic converter has 'dumped' the 'wroom' sound of the mobike and I do not like that. So I'd like to ask the mechanical/automobile engineers these questions -

1. What does catalytic converter actually do?
    2. How does it affect the mileage of motorcycle?

Enlighten all of us, guys😁
    catalytic converters makes the emission from your bike less harmful for the environment...
    just stay happy with it ...

it shouldn't practically effect mileage much

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi Friends let me introduce myself... I'm Umar from C.Abdul Hakeem college if Engg & Tech.. I'm very glad to Join this community.. hope it would be helpful for me...
hi, i am very happy 2 join such a wonderful site... here we can inprove our creativityyyy😁
hey buddies, i desperately need a topicfor my seminar in third year .please, help me out by suggesting some...😕😕
I was wondering how many of us really care to vote for the reality show contestants on the Television. Do you think it makes sense to send Rs. 6/- SMS?...
Hello my dear CEans, I am currently doing a project where I need to receive an SMS in a computer to which a mobile phone is connected through data cable....