CAT Registrations Drop To Five Year Low

Common Admission Test (CAT) registrations have dropped to a five year low with only 1.94 lakh aspirants registering for the CAT 2013 exam. The registrations have dropped to a five year low since 2008. The reason for this decline of interest for a management degree is being attributed to increased fees and low placement rates in colleges. According to the report in #-Link-Snipped-#, most engineers are now opting for GATE examination because it provides then an opportunity to go for government jobs.

The CAT aspirants for this year can look at the bright side of this development because they will have less competition this year but the statistics mentioned in the report above is also a cause of worry for them.

As the exams begin on the 16th of October we would like to wish all the aspirants best of luck in their endeavors.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This should an eye opener for many people who want high salary buy studying something weird after engineering education.

I am however concerned that the decrease in number is because of the economic slow down, instead it should be for becoming real engineer (my perspective).

I am concerned about the other statement too, that more people applying for gate to join into government jobs!!

A change is happening but for wrong reasons!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As I had guessed, the Management degrees are losing the shine. I'd expect that in the next few years, more engineering graduates will prefer working in core engineering domains (or say, Non-IT).

As far as CAT is concerned, I think they messed it up all by themselves. They couldn't 'manage' their own exam properly and required two attempts. Plus, when you see the kind of jobs IIM guys are doing these days; you wonder whether they really needed to go to IIMs.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I slightly disagree on the point that CAT has lost its charm because of inclination of engineers towards GATE.

Per me, increase in the fee structure of management schools has attributed to drop in registration by more than 30% in last 5 years.

The rise in number of GATE registration is the alternative students are left with.

-CB

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Seismologists have found a great friend in a smartphone chip that collects real-time and accurate data of earthquakes with magnitude > 5. The chip was originally used to maintain the...
Edward Snowden’s public disclosure of PRISM program by NSA has caused uproar among privacy enthusiasts worldwide. As the US government is trying to justify its move, people are now working...
Now Samsung’s smartwatch tried to solve the problem of calls on a smartwatch by introducing a speaker phone. The trouble with this speakerphone was that everyone on your vicinity could...
Now this is a problem of engineers all over. Buried in assignment or exams you often miss on current affairs of the world. So what do you do to keep...
when measuring very low resistance(miliohm), it is necessary to perform 4 wire test in order to get an accurate reading. However, can opamp(comparator) provide a better accuracy when come to...