Carl Zeiss VR One: A$99 Smartphone VR Headset; Pre-Orders Now Open

Even though the folks at How & Why Did Facebook Acquire Oculus VR For $2 Billion; What is The Future For Oculus ? are still working out the kinks associated with the public launch of their maiden virtual reality headset, it did not prevent them from launching a portable virtual reality headset for the Samsung Announces Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy Note Edge At IFA 2014 called AirVR Brings Virtual Reality To iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Mini Users In The Weirdest Way Possible. Later we heard from a couple of Canadian guys who managed to fund their iPhone & iPad Mini VR attachment named AirVR Brings Virtual Reality To iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Mini Users In The Weirdest Way Possible. Now we have Zeiss, the well known German manufacturer of optical systems who in association with Total 3D Solutions have developed a smartphone VR attachment for the rest of us. Even though the company promises a one-size-fits-all experience, there are certain requirements. For example your smartphone should have displays between 4.7 and 5.2-inches. This leaves out the bigger phablets such as OnePlus One and Samsung Galaxy Note series. Second, the tray needed to cradle the smartphone has to be bought separately for $9.90. Currently the company has made drawers for iPhone 6 and Samsung Galaxy S5 and has asked interested customers to vote for the smartphones whose drawers they want to be made. While pre-orders are open for just $99 a piece, you won’t be getting your hands on one until next year.

VR One 1
VR One 2 VR One 3 VR One 4 VR One 5

The company has made the VR One out of durable polycarbonate and its expertise with optical products has helped it design precision lenses that form the large eyebox of VR One. Zeiss claims that the eyebox is suitable for the interpupillary distance (PD) of more than 90 percent of population and does not require any PD calibiration. Once the smartphone has been slid in to VR One users can experience real-time virtual reality with the help of the camera of the smartphone. VR One supports stereo side-by-side format for 3D pictures & videos and uses the smartphone’s sensors to track head movements. Zeiss has also taken care of smaller things like facilitating use of eyeglasses, ventilation openings to ease airflow and avoid fogging of lenses and openings to access the smartphone audio and charging connectors. It has released companion smartphone apps for iOS and Android and is currently seeking help from developers to build apps for the VR One. The Open Source SDK for Unity3D (iOS and Android) and documentation is available for download now.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#, #-Link-Snipped-# via #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

do help me asap to upload pdf for eligibility certificate & community certificate
A few days ago during the Flipkart Big Billion Sale fiasco I came across an article on this blog that highlighted the fact that some companies are not choosing to...
The 67-hour countdown for the launch of India's navigation satellite IRNSS 1C began today at the spaceport of Sriharikota. The IRNSS 1C is the third of seven satellites in a...
I just want a guideline as to what topic I should choose for my paper presentation,I am currently pursuing my 3 yr ,and please suggest topics apart from networks and...
Please share quotes on Computer Science Engineering. Thanks.