Career in testing

Hi all,
I am presently working as testing engineer in one of the companies. My domain of working is Mobile application testing. So I would like to know how is the career in testing? I have heard that there is no such growth as in development. Please let me know about this.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vijaymp
    Hi all,
    I am presently working as testing engineer in one of the companies. My domain of working is Mobile application testing. So I would like to know how is the career in testing? I have heard that there is no such growth as in development. Please let me know about this.
    Our mod English-Scared is the right person to answer this as he's an experienced QA professional. Overall, I believe career in testing has more scope in Indian IT as most of the projects are directly on software testing or involve software testing. Testing remains one of the most outsourced job and I'm quite sure it will continue to grow.

Mobile Application Testing is going to be big in future for sure. The simple reason being all the desktop applications are being ported to the Internet and Mobile devices will soon replace traditional ways of accessing Internet. I'm quite sure you'll have big scope in Mobile Application Testing. I'd however recommend you to develop your skill set in Automation Testing (not sure whether this fits in the context of Mobile App Testing). Be skilled in various operating systems, tools and scripting languages like PERL, PYTHON.

Over to CEan E-S, for his views.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    Hi Vijay , I am also in the filed of testing..not so much experienced but i can assure you there is lot of scope of testing in the market..you have to be your own...whatever domain in your try to grasp as much knowledge as you can,as per biggie for automation..firstly take well hands on manual testing so that you will be good enough to know about the whole QA process..and side by side you can start learning Automation tools like.QTP,selenium..

ES can guide you well 😀
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Vijaymp: Career in testing is in par with career in Development. No doubt about that!

And you are into the emerging and latest technology in the market "Mobile Testing" thats a very good platform.

All the web applications are supporting /going to support mobile OS, so there will be a huge requirement for mobile testers.

And for learning perspective there are many tools in the market mostly simulators to simulate the mobile environment into the pc.

For example there is a simulator for opera browser called opera mini simulator which helps in testing.

And automation yes that is also available for mobile testing!

I know that testing career is being degraded in many companies in India , dont get disappointed with that!

If development is important so testing is!

I think I have answered your question , if you have any questions post here!

and there is one more Ceans more experienced in QA -- Crazyboy. He is currently busy he will come back to answer you in a week or so!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Buddy, I second E-S and Biggi on their views that Testing has good career and specially your domain .. Mobile technology is very niche technology and has a very good future.

About your doubt of comparison on Development and QA, Believe me neither development is better than testing nor the testing is lesser than Development. Both of the areas has two essential cycle / requirement of technology. The easier thing is development is that you have developed something so you have something to showcase your work; however testing is all about behind the scene. But my friend, i am telling you without a good tester and good testing no application can be developed.

In my testing experience I has seen lots of tester whose career flourished equally as development guyz. so just apply your skills with passion and be sure that Testing has good future.

Just few TIPS: In testing try learning bit of Automation, performance, security and always keep yourself with technology... Success is assured.

-CB
  • Rohan Sharma
    Rohan Sharma
    Hi all.
    My name is Rohan Sharma. Recently i got a job in Samsung Engineering Labs of Mobile testing of MOBILE TESTING.. I also got a job in infosys of s/w development. I am planning to join samsung. I want to know that starting my career in testing is good on not??? and if yes i also want to know that whether i will be able to switch from samsung to some other company for development later on or not????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rohan Sharma
    Hi all.
    My name is Rohan Sharma. Recently i got a job in Samsung Engineering Labs of Mobile testing of MOBILE TESTING.. I also got a job in infosys of s/w development. I am planning to join samsung. I want to know that starting my career in testing is good on not??? and if yes i also want to know that whether i will be able to switch from samsung to some other company for development later on or not????
    If you have time, I'd highly recommend doing a research on career in both the domains before you join either of the companies. It's going to be *difficult* for you to switch to development track. So make a well informed decision.

There are several misconceptions about career in software testing. But it you intend to be in the Development track in the long run, it's better to join it from day #1.
  • sneha3526
    sneha3526
    I want to know about testing profile
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I usually get bit surprised to see all the negativity around career in software testing. I believe software testing offers more growth in companies. Corporate hierarchy is such that you may do hard-core engineering and get promoted to do the job that do not require you to code or develop; but 'manage'. So in any case, you're going to go away from the technical stuff and advance towards a managerial role. Unless someone is really planning to do (and is prepared for) hard-core development/coding stuff; there's no point in distinguishing between career in software testing and development.

Just for the sake of information, Software Testing does offer lot of coding opportunities and development opportunities as well. I personally software testing engineers who're better coders than the typical developers. You can get exposed to a vast array of tools and utilities along with programming languages etc.

Whether to join Infosys Or Samsung should entirely be your choice; provided you know your priorities and career goals well. Work on that, share them with us so that we can help you make a well informed decision.
  • sneha3526
    sneha3526
    The_Big_K
    I usually get bit surprised to see all the negativity around career in software testing. I believe software testing offers more growth in companies. Corporate hierarchy is such that you may do hard-core engineering and get promoted to do the job that do not require you to code or develop; but 'manage'. So in any case, you're going to go away from the technical stuff and advance towards a managerial role. Unless someone is really planning to do (and is prepared for) hard-core development/coding stuff; there's no point in distinguishing between career in software testing and development.

Just for the sake of information, Software Testing does offer lot of coding opportunities and development opportunities as well. I personally software testing engineers who're better coders than the typical developers. You can get exposed to a vast array of tools and utilities along with programming languages etc.

Whether to join Infosys Or Samsung should entirely be your choice; provided you know your priorities and career goals well. Work on that, share them with us so that we can help you make a well informed decision.
    yes , U r correct.There is a lot of negative thinking around career in s/w testing, and this has influenced me .therefore Iam not able to make a firm decision and need your help.As far as my priorities and goals are concerned I do want to be on the managerial side in my near future and want to earn a hefty amount 😀. Some people say that joining Infy would be a good career start .after staying for 2 years in Infy and then switching will make my package double and also get promoted to a higher post ??Is this true???vont this happen if i join samsung ????
  • *pushkar*
    *pushkar*
    sneha3526
    yes , U r correct.There is a lot of negative thinking around career in s/w testing, and this has influenced me .therefore Iam not able to make a firm decision and need your help.As far as my priorities and goals are concerned I do want to be on the managerial side in my near future and want to earn a hefty amount 😀. Some people say that joining Infy would be a good career start .after staying for 2 years in Infy and then switching will make my package double and also get promoted to a higher post ??Is this true???vont this happen if i join samsung ????
    Good question. My friend also did the same. Left amdocs offer because of testing profile and joined infosys finally. He was also saying the same that working with infosys for first 2 years would fetch a big fat money.
  • AbhishekBiswas
    AbhishekBiswas
    In my view , development and qa are two different paths rather process .. equally essential in respect of productivity .
    QA should be more focused rather prioritized as development which in practical differs .
    Dishearten but fact ................
  • madzzy
    madzzy
    Hi, I am into manual testing .. I am confused to opt for Cucumber or mobile application testing..
    Can anybody help ??
    __Madhavi
  • sandy4062
    sandy4062
    Hi
    I have 2.7years of experience in manual testing and under pressure from my family I resigned 1.5 years back to prepare for govt jobs..I got into a Public sector bank,but this type of govt job is so frustrating that I resigned from here also..
    now i can either get back to IT or prepare for another govt job?
    please suggest ...how would it be to join back IT..will I be able to make a successful career out of software testing...

Thanks
    Sandeep
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    madzzy
    Hi, I am into manual testing .. I am confused to opt for Cucumber or mobile application testing..
    Can anybody help ??
    __Madhavi
    Cucumber is just a testing framework while mobile application testing is a huge domain. If you can, you should learn Cucumber and also explore mobile application testing. It's ultimately your choice and availability of opportunities.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sandy4062
    Hi
    I have 2.7years of experience in manual testing and under pressure from my family I resigned 1.5 years back to prepare for govt jobs..I got into a Public sector bank,but this type of govt job is so frustrating that I resigned from here also..
    now i can either get back to IT or prepare for another govt job?
    please suggest ...how would it be to join back IT..will I be able to make a successful career out of software testing...

Thanks
    Sandeep
    Try writing to the manager / team lead / HR of your earlier company and explain him your situation. Typically the company you earlier worked will be more than happy to get you back.

We cannot have an answer for your self-doubts. You need to build your confidence, skills and have a positive attitude towards your career. Nothing is impossible (and that's not just a punch line). You can do any freaking damn thing in life if you set your focus on it and work your ass off to make it happen.

Don't let other people's opinions and views define your career path (and life in general).

Stay active on CE, enrich yourself with knowledge and keep looking for jobs.
  • ElikaMurali
    ElikaMurali
    Hi , I am working in one of the MNC....I got job 5 months back...They hired for testing...i dont know anything about testing field....for 4 months i am keep doing mobile app compatibility testing (Real device Testing).....i am confused about my career..do i continue it or else i go to manager and ask give automation for me ????
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ElikaMurali
    for 4 months i am keep doing mobile app compatibility testing (Real device Testing).....i am confused about my career..do i continue it or else i go to manager and ask give automation for me ?
    It's just 4 months that you're into testing. Nothing should stop you from upgrading your skills, learning automation tools. You admit that you don't know 'anything' about testing field - so ask questions and get your doubts clarified.

Your entry into automation field will be smoother and easier if you're well versed with manual testing concepts. There's no need to rush in. Enjoy your job, learn new things and keep growing.
  • ElikaMurali
    ElikaMurali
    ok..Till how many days i can continue....mean while what i need to improve to be a best tester ?? on what i have to concerntrate ??
  • ElikaMurali
    ElikaMurali
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It's just 4 months that you're into testing. Nothing should stop you from upgrading your skills, learning automation tools. You admit that you don't know 'anything' about testing field - so ask questions and get your doubts clarified.

Your entry into automation field will be smoother and easier if you're well versed with manual testing concepts. There's no need to rush in. Enjoy your job, learn new things and keep growing.
    ok..Till how many days i can continue....mean while what i need to improve to be a best tester ?? on what i have to concerntrate ??
  • k.krishna pradeep kumar
    k.krishna pradeep kumar
    Hi all,
    I've joined in a company as a manual tester recently. I was deployed in system reliabiity testing team.What are my oppurtunities as a automation tester........will there be any growth in system testing?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

[video=youtube;J41w3y2AEwM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J41w3y2AEwM[/video]
Hi! I am doing my 6th semester Electronics and communication engineering in south india.I would like to go for summer trainings offered by core companies..railway, etc... I would like to...
Scientists at the Fraunhofer Institute for Secure Information Technology (SIT) test laboratory in Germany have shown how someone who steals or finds an iPhone or iPad can use existing software...
In a short video, Martin Hilbert, a Provost's Fellow at the USC Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, talks about how much information the world stores, communicates, and computes. [video=vimeo;19779116]https://vimeo.com/19779116[/video]
E-Summit @DTU is back with a bang! This time it promises to be bigger and better!! The 2 day event will be inaugrated on 16th February 2011 by the Hon'ble...