Career in Performance Testing

Hello Kaustubh,
I am working as a Performance Automation tester..but before joining i have been trained in java... i like watching code work....but i get pissed off when code does not work....but after working in testing i am confused how to go ahead with this career...because i am in to performance testing...which is a competely different from functional testing....please throw some light on career in peformance testing...how my java skill will be useful for my career

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I think #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# are more qualified to answer your query. My advice is very generic.

You need to answer whether you absolutely love coding? Your answer would be 'yes', if you've bought Java Books on your own, have coded something on your own as a hobby project, have contributed to open source Java projects etc. If not, you'll have to figure out whether you like software testing. Because if you like software testing, you can use your background in performance testing and then look for opportunities in other fields (functional, automation, usability, manual et al.) of testing.

Your Java coding background would help you understand the scripting languages used in automated testing tools easily. If you aren't *very fond* of testing; you should consider getting certified in automation tools or look for opportunities within your own project or company for automation or other forms of testing so that your resume gets a boost.

Before picking up any career, make sure you are aware of as many aspects of it. Testing is an interesting field to be in. Does that answer your question?

If you have more specific questions, let me know.
  • priyanjalichoudhury
    priyanjalichoudhury
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I think #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# are more qualified to answer your query. My advice is very generic.

You need to answer whether you absolutely love coding? Your answer would be 'yes', if you've bought Java Books on your own, have coded something on your own as a hobby project, have contributed to open source Java projects etc. If not, you'll have to figure out whether you like software testing. Because if you like software testing, you can use your background in performance testing and then look for opportunities in other fields (functional, automation, usability, manual et al.) of testing.

Your Java coding background would help you understand the scripting languages used in automated testing tools easily. If you aren't *very fond* of testing; you should consider getting certified in automation tools or look for opportunities within your own project or company for automation or other forms of testing so that your resume gets a boost.

Before picking up any career, make sure you are aware of as many aspects of it. Testing is an interesting field to be in. Does that answer your question?

If you have more specific questions, let me know.
    i am happy in testing....and even i am not that crazy for java as you said buying books and all....but i wanted some specific answer regarding performance testing...because i want to build my career in performance testin...but for that what are the tools i need to excel in?? what are the scripting languages i should know....please can you help m e with this?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Performance testing is a very niche skill. You need to learn Load runner, NeoLoad, Jmeter, OpenSTA, Rational and so on.. list is long. The basic concept of performance testing in most of the tools are same. The game starts how a performance tester analyse the reports, gives his recommendation and that are considered in the development of the platform / framework. That's job of a architect.

I would suggest you to continue learning the performance tools, I mentioned and leave everything else on luck that you will get an opportunity to prove the mettle. Even if you will not get an architect opportunity requirement of basic performance testers will always be there.

However, I must admit there are very rare opportunity for *core* performance engineers / architect in India (Believe me, the handful of those lucky folks are paid like anything).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've decided to create a new thread out of posts on this topic so far. A lot of users are looking for answers for their queries about career in performance testing.

#-Link-Snipped-# - I think Anil's response was quite informative. He's a seasoned QA professional and you should pay attention to his advise.
  • priyanjalichoudhury
    priyanjalichoudhury
    Anil Jain
    Performance testing is a very niche skill. You need to learn Load runner, NeoLoad, Jmeter, OpenSTA, Rational and so on.. list is long. The basic concept of performance testing in most of the tools are same. The game starts how a performance tester analyse the reports, gives his recommendation and that are considered in the development of the platform / framework. That's job of a architect.

I would suggest you to continue learning the performance tools, I mentioned and leave everything else on luck that you will get an opportunity to prove the mettle. Even if you will not get an architect opportunity requirement of basic performance testers will always be there.

However, I must admit there are very rare opportunity for *core* performance engineers / architect in India (Believe me, the handful of those lucky folks are paid like anything).

Thanks Anil for all your guidance and suggestions...i would like to follow you as per learning new tools and all......doing scripting because i always want to stand out from crowd...Many thanks for your great help...
  • priyanjalichoudhury
    priyanjalichoudhury
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've decided to create a new thread out of posts on this topic so far. A lot of users are looking for answers for their queries about career in performance testing.

#-Link-Snipped-# - I think Anil's response was quite informative. He's a seasoned QA professional and you should pay attention to his advise.
    Thanks kaustubh for your great help....thanks for tagging me in this post...yes the post was of great help to me....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Plivo, a private Telecommunications industry, was co-founded by Venky B and Michael Ricordeau in September 2011. Plivo has its headquarters located in San Francisco, USA and Bangalore, India. Plivo is...
Researchers at the Georgia Institute of Technology have created a smart glove that can help people read and write Braille script even when they are not paying any attention. The...
Hello all CEans 😀 Can i have d problems of any industry or company (ECE related) which, one can take it as a final sem project or any one tried...
Hello, Name : Harry Decia Engineering trade:-Civil Location :- Punjab(khanna) Occupation:-Student at GGI (Gulzar Group of Institutes, Khanna ) Aim:- want to be crazy civil Engineer. I join CrazyEngineer because:-...
Quote: Complex heterogeneous processors have the potential to leave a large amount of performance headroom untapped when workloads don’t utilize all cores. Advanced power management techniques for x86 processors are...