Career Change at 39 - from Management & System Admin To QA/Testing

Hello.
I have passed out cs in 2000, worked as an computer programmer in a private firm located in small town. I have done coding for 7 years in foxPro after that shifted to the management & System Administration in the same organization. I am interested in developing a career in software testing. I think this is a career change at the age of 39. Is it possible to make shift in software testing in this age....

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dear Sunil,

Welcome to CrazyEngineers. Career change is possible but you have not stated the main reasons for the need/want to change your career path. It'd be nice if you could provide more details about your situation and let us know the questions you have in your mind so that our fellow engineers can discuss them to find the best possible fix.
  • Sunil Ratnaparkhi
    Sunil Ratnaparkhi
    Dear Sir,

Thank you for your immediate reply.

Initially there was a software developed in FoxPro and maintained in house. At that time I was doing the work of analysis, designing, coding and implementation.

Four years back, organization has given a contract of new software development to external developing company. During that period of software development and implementation, I have worked as a mediator between the developing team and the users and management. I have done the work of data migration, re-analysis of the modules having problems in there implementation & tracking the progress of project.

The new software was developed and implemented in three years. After final implementation the software was handed over to our organization. There after I am doing the work of maintaining the software & the servers. Maintaining involves user creation & configuration, allotting the access permissions. Resolving the online problems, minor corrections, New developments etc..

The software is in AMC and correction and development work is done by the company engineers.

I found my self technically no ware and this is the reason why I want to change my career.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    First of all, no need to call me 'sir'. I'm yet to achieve knighthood. 😀

Your last response does provide more information about the problem. I think you're worried about the future for your profile in the current organisation and I can guess it provides no scope for growth. Is there any possibility of you getting involved with the engineering teams and start participating in the development / testing activities? That'll give you a very good hands on experience.

Changing your career to a new track should be possible; but you need to build your case. Why would any employer want to offer a job to you if you bring no experience to the table? You need to figure out a way to combine your existing experience and knowledge of software testing to find a new job.

I'd suggest joining a reputed institute that will train you on the basics of software testing and automation and also gain some hands on experience on the existing project.

Let's wait for responses from our fellow engineers.
  • Sunil Ratnaparkhi
    Sunil Ratnaparkhi
    Kaustubh Ji,

You have accurately pointed out that I am worried about the future of my profile. And there is no such chance to get involved with developing Engineers and a reason is, the developer company is situated in Kerala (Cohi), they are giving on line support.

I am living near Shirdi, there is no Software testing training Institutes near by. I have to go to Pune to join a course.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

So I was wondering if the voice calling facility being offered by WhatsApp is actually cheaper than the regular network calls. Of course it's bound to be cheaper when you...
American software giant Adobe recently unveiled its new product. Meet Comp CC, Adobe’s new app on iPad that lets designers create the content on the go. With Comp CC designers...
After basking in the glory of its remarkable success in just few years, the Chinese tech giant, Xiaomi will be celebrating its 5th birthday on 6th April, this year. The...
guys i wants to work on some new innovation and idea,which improve safety,design and fuel economy,if you have any idea or thought then participate in discussion
Today is 1st April, the Fool’s Day. All of internet is conspiring to fool you, major tech giants and websites are cooking up harmless pranks that will either make you...