Can you learn how to learn? - Debate!

So the other day I was discussing with a friend about how some people never show inclination to learn new things. Somehow the discussions steered to the idea that may be these people do not know the process of learning. The question we landed on was:
How to learn how to learn?

A lot of my friends go to slums to teach them how to read and write. Some even teach them maths and science. They often tell me that its very difficult to make them understand what learning is.

So, my question to you all is: "Can you learn how to learn?"
Waiting for informative inputs on this, folks!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. I have worked on a few courses from Coursera. Good.
    Quote: This course gives you easy access to the invaluable learning techniques used by experts in art, music, literature, math, science, sports, and many other disciplines. We’ll learn about the how the brain uses two very different learning modes and how it encapsulates (“chunks”) information. We’ll also cover illusions of learning, memory techniques, dealing with procrastination, and best practices shown by research to be most effective in helping you master tough subjects. Endquote
    Learning How to Learn: Powerful mental tools to help you master tough subjects | Coursera
    2. Each has his/her way of learning. There is no panacea, no holy grail that guarantees all easy learning. This psychological article gives some insights:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    3. Here is the Grand Old Dame of communication - BBC's take on learning:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Most of the learning is typically 'objective' driven. If a person feels that 'learning' will help him/her achieve that objective - then the learning will be natural. Going to slums to teach is a good idea - but expecting that the students there will immediately become interested in learning is quite optimistic. They first need to be made aware of the advantages and benefits they can avail by learning a new thing.

This objective could be anything - monetary gain, entertainment, fun etc.

Summary: There has to be a strong 'reason' to learn.
  • joseph siomn
    joseph siomn
    okay!
    learning is a process the acquisition of knowledge or skills through study, experience, or being taught..! i bealive this process stage by stage experience so it's possible to learn how to learn.
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    This concept of 'learning how to learning' is a tricky one really. It requires a little introspection from self, getting to know the difference between learning and knowing. Learning to learn I believe happens by doing things hands on. No amount of instruction however highly regarded really helps you learn. Yes, it helps you know maybe not learn.
    Remember there were Gurukuls in the past where the pupil had to stay, do chores and the teacher/Guru would impart knowledge. It was an on-going activity with other chores, nothing exclusive as our institutions of schools, colleges today. The point I am making is learning happens proactively, by being aware and more often than not it is self taught or self realised. The sources can be external as experiences, books, work etc. but when it is internalized it becomes a learning. Much like wisdom. And ofcourse there is a difference between knowledge and wisdom.
    To quote an example, the illiterate women of Bangladesh learnt to make the rehydration solution of salt, water, and sugar in right proportions better when they did it for themselves under the guidance of officials or when they taught their peers the same. They didnt learn better when it was just instructed by videos or through oral communications by the volunteers. Simple experiment goes much to say.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

TeeWe, the Google Chromecast competitor from India has announced the upgraded of their popular HDMI media streaming dongle. The makers of TeeWe, Mango Man Consumer Electronics Pvt. Ltd., will put...
As computer technology is forging ahead, the demand for processing information at ultra-fast speed is also increasing. Scientists believe that silicon photonics has the potential of improving performance and speed...
A developer-designer duo - Kaiwei Tang and Joe Hollier came together as a part of Google's inaugural 30 Weeks incubator program to build a revolutionary new device called the 'Light...
'The Engineer', UK, has this to say: Quote: Lot’s of questions, I’m afraid, and not many answers. Which is why we’ve assembled a panel of experts from across the aero...
Quote The Engineer is the pre-eminent publication for our profession. Therefore, unsurprisingly, I regularly make my way through the various articles online. One of the pieces that recently caught my...