Can you help me.

I am looking for the means to a new substance that I can apply to a spring. I feel it is connected to carbon nanotubes.

I believe I have found my spring substance
Can you connect me to the people who are involved in this substance?

Damascus Steel
Lost to time has been found to contain carbon nanotubes.
I believe my future spring will come from this application.

Damascus steel or Wootz Steel was imported from India to the Middle East

Recreating Damascus steel is a subfield of Experimental Archaeology. Many have attempted to discover or Reverse Engineering the process by which it was made.

A team of researchers based at the Technische Universit%C3%A4T Dresden that used X Ray and Electron Microscopy to examine Damascus steel discovered the presence of Cementite NanowiresDamascus Steel Cite Note 20 and Carbon Nanotube.Damascus Steel Cite Note 21 Peter Paufler, a member of the Dresden team, says that these nanostructures are a result of the forging process.Damascus Steel Cite Note Nationalgeographic2006 6Damascus Steel Cite Note Sanderson 22

Sanderson proposes that the process of forging and annealing accounts for the nano-scale structures.Damascus Steel Cite Note Sanderson 22

Production of these patterned swords gradually declined, ceasing by around 1750, and the process was lost to metalsmiths. Several modern theories have ventured to explain this decline, including the breakdown of trade routes to supply the needed metals, the lack of trace impurities in the metals, the possible loss of knowledge on the crafting techniques through secrecy and lack of transmission, or a combination of all the above.Damascus Steel Cite Note Verhoeven 2Damascus Steel Cite Note Ws 3Damascus Steel Cite Note Lionel Milgrom 2009 15
The original Damascus steel or Wootz Steel was imported from India to the Middle East.Damascus Steel Cite Note Verhoeven 2Damascus Steel Cite Note Ws 3 Due to the distance of trade for this steel, a sufficiently lengthy disruption of the trade routes could have ended the production of Damascus steel and eventually led to the loss of the technique in India. As well, the need for key trace impurities of tungsten or vanadium within the materials needed for production of the steel may be absent if this material was acquired from different production regions or smelted from ores lacking these key trace elements.Damascus Steel Cite Note Verhoeven 2 The technique for controlled thermal cycling after the initial forging at a specific temperature could also have been lost, thereby preventing the final damask pattern in the steel from occurring.Damascus Steel Cite Note Verhoeven 2Damascus Steel Cite Note Ws 3
The discovery of Carbon Nanotubes in the Damascus steel's composition supports this hypothesis, since the precipitation of carbon nanotubes probably resulted from a specific process that may be difficult to replicate should the production technique or raw materials used be significantly altered.Damascus Steel Cite Note Lionel Milgrom 2009 15

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The Damascus steel used a forging process, which might have created the nano structure. A few years back an Indian student from a USA university came with a proposal for exploiting a steel material with nano structure having high performance that they developed. We were not into that area and had to pass on that. However, I spent some time in technical discussion. The essence of their R&D was high shear working of normal steel. Their process of high shear turning of ordinary steel produced turning scrap, which had a nano structure and very high strength. Much of the properties were retained even after melting and forming this scrap.
    One can look at this option for special applications. Unfortunately I am unable to trace any reference to this study. Shall revert if I find anything.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey Ankita, Greetings, Can u please share the model paper for IES Mechanical. Would be glad if you can help me with the examination pattern. Thanks in advance.
rupam das sir, i m in 2 nd year btech comp and we have a subject design engg in which we have to design a new product over 3 year...
Project Abstract / Summary : Oscilloscope is an inevitable part of testing of electronic components and circuits. Commercially available CROs and digital oscilloscopes are bulky and costly. The objective of...
Project Abstract / Summary : Main objective is to reduce the accidents due to structural damage of roads and bridges.A NON DESTRUCTIVE SENSING ROBOT FOR CRACK DETECTION AND DECK MAINTENANCE...
GreedyGame.com is a computer games company founded in the year 2014 by Arpit Jain and Arink Verma. With an intention to increase retention of players and create more user engagement,...