Can we use PVC poles to make tents ?

I am planning to design my own cost effective tent. I have seen some companies which make use of PVC as a material for tent poles. See <#-Link-Snipped-#
Most of the other tent making companies make use of aluminum poles. I am therefore confused regarding the material that I should use for poles. I am planning to design a cost effective yet fairly strong tent. It should also be light weight. Keeping this in mind, which is a favorable option- aluminum or PVC.?
Also I have heard that PVC fails at lower temperatures. What is the exact temperature at which PVC fails. If this is so then I think I cannot use PVC tent poles in snow.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    PVC may not be the best. There are pultruded FRP poles.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • TheDarkKnight
    TheDarkKnight
    A.V.Ramani
    PVC may not be the best. There are pultruded FRP poles.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Can these type of poles bend? I am planning to design a flexible pole tent similar to backpack tents which the mountaineers use
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The site claims that they can be folded and carried, whatever that means. There is also a contact link at the bottom for more info on these poles.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir myself himanshu tiwari ,i am currently doing my b.tech(4th year).i have done embedded system based on at89c51&52 and matlab.now i want to do PLC SCADA....Will this halping me for...
Just as promised, Micromax India launched its mid-budget phone Canvas Doodle 4 in India. Under the below Rs. 10,000 Android phone segment in India, this phone is set to compete...
Lava Mobiles has introduced a new 4-inch Android phone priced at Rs. 3399. The Lava Flair P1 has a WVGA resolution display, 1 GHz processor and 256 MB RAM alongside...
BMW India has launched the facelift version of the 2015 BMW 6 Series Gran Coupé in an event in New Delhi. Featuring a top speed of 250 km/h and an...
The Indian Space Research Organisation is developing new heavy lift launch vehicle (HLV) to carry future satellites, weighing up to 10 tonnes. Dr. M.C. Dathan, the director of Vikram Sarabhai...