Can we use internet wires to transfer the stored electric power ?

I was thinking that if i can able to transfer the stored electric power using a wire than why can't we use internet to transfer the stored power ?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    You can transfer power through a wire or wireless. Internet is just a protocol. It cannot carry a current.
  • The_Small_k
    The_Small_k
    How we write the protocol for transferring the the data from one device to another. Can't we write the same for transferring the power from one device to another ?
    Is it possible to download the power just like we are downloading the data from the server using internet ?
    I want to know what makes it unfeasible ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Power is a physical quantity. Only the code is transferred. Electric power is electric charge in movement. Not transferable. It is like saying, 'can we transfer water by internet?'
  • lal
    lal
    You can definitely send signals over a power line. So internet can happen over powerlines. But what would limit the possibility of sending power over existing internet lines could be the limitation in the maximum amount of current/power that could be transmitted. You need cables with reasonable conductor diameter to carry power. And again, it would induce noise.

Signals used to be sent over high tension power transmission lines in the past at high frequencies. There were something called wave guides attached to these powerlines at substations to filter out these 'information signals'. So, it's definitely possible to send communication signals and power together.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    lal
    So, it's definitely possible to send communication signals and power together.
    GE Alsthom regularly uses power lines for control signals.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Last month, Celkon had launched Campus A518 and now the Indian mobile manufacturer has introduced a new entry-level smartphone- Campus A359. The smartphone is priced at Rs. 2,350 and is...
I have the working knowledge with angularjs and want to develop the application using that only. But i hear that angularjs is little slow in performance when it comes to...
ASUS has been taking its loyal fanbase by surprise every time it launches a gadget with industry leading specs with innovation at its core. With ASUS Zenbook UX305 (priced in...
Dear Crazy Engineers, I am a budding entrepreneur who is in need of a suggestion / advice on starting up a small firm. Upon analysis, I came to know that...
Constant Zero Variable maximum any of these options?