Can tablets replace laptops? If yes, when? If no, why?

My father today read me an excerpt from a newspaper on the topic - Tablets can not replace Laptops & Desktops. He was curious to know what the young generation thinks about it.
When it comes to productivity, number one choice unbeaten for most is a Desktop or a Laptop. Tablets used generously at work is a scene we only see at a Designer's workstation (that too in only some cases.) In this digital gadget revolution, desktops are still firmly standing, but they are fast being replaced by laptop's popularity and now some say that the laptops are bring threatened by the tablets.

Most people I know who use tablets regularly, use it only to try out new apps for fun. Android, iOS, Windows tablets all are being used in majority to play games, read eBooks, watch videos and photos and it has become a recreational device that people prefer to carry on trips and holidays.
A report published in Economic Times today, speaks of CyberMedia Research's (CMR) India Tablets Consumer Usage and Adoption Trends 2013 study. It said that 3 out of every 4 users claimed mobility as a major reason to purchase a tablet with accessing social networking sites and entertainment, on the go, being their preferred activities.

My verdict is that Laptops still RULE. I own an iPad and I haven't been able to use for something productivity unless connected with a keyboard. If a person's entire Computer using experience revolves around browsing the web, watching YouTube and checking emails every now and then, YES, Tablets can Replace Laptops for you immediately. But for others, I think moving to tablets is still not an immediate option.

I would like to know your opinions. Please do share your thoughts.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tablets are handy email, entertainment (music, videos, games) and casual internet browsing devices. Laptops, on the other hand, allow productive use of the computer. I think tablets and mobiles have already replaced the laptops which were being used for entertainment and casual email/browsing. For business uses; however, laptops will continue to exist.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes Laptop will survive in future for the following reason.
    Though tablets are handy in using music games etc i don't like to use it for office use especially during programming or creating a ppt or typing a document I would still prefer a laptop.
    Only thing that irritate me is the weight of laptop and heat generated in it.i am not convinced with the cooling fan in laptop .
  • mail154
    mail154
    << ๐Ÿ˜€ Back After a very long time ๐Ÿ˜€ >>

Hi Dear CEans out here..

My personal opinion is that laptop RULES and tablet would never be a replacement for me for a mighty laptop. In fact if the comparison is between a desktop and laptop i would go for a desktop undoubtedly. The problem for me with the laptop is the heat it produces and strain on working it with for a long time. But it is far good than a tablet device. i don't think tablet would replace or go past laptop atleast as of now.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Desktop / Laptop's are necessity and Tablets / Phablets are luxury. Tablets are good for any surfing, checking FB, twitter, emails doing e-shopping, booking tickets; i would say all luxury things.

However desktop / laptop's are primarily use for productive tasks like developing, testing software, deploying software applications.

So As the primary usage is different I do not think in near future Tablets / Phablets are going to replace Desktop / Laptop for a person who need them for productive tasks. For others Tablets had already replaced Desktop / laptops.

PS: In my mind Laptop's had already replaced Desktops (Can be a debate topic?). So you never know what revolution with replace laptops as well.

-CB
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Let me put it this way: HUMMER!

Heard of it?

The Americans actually invented the original Hummer H1 for extreme war conditions usage. - the Desktop!!

Then came the Hummer H2 which was for the more sportive kind of adventurer who really needed a good ride. - the Laptop!!!

And the latest is the Hummer H3 - the cheapest, the most mileage producer and yet just bought for the sake of being a Hummer. - the Tablet!!!!

Ok, so now you may ask, what do you think a Phablet would represent?

- An XUV!

None can replace the 'purpose' of the actual build!!!

P.S.: Pun intended!๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    Till i know within 2-3 years, line between tablets and laptops will be blurred..
    Thanks to Intel new segment is emerging in market called 2-in-1.

If you have seen there are few tablets coming with 4th gen. Intel core i3 or i5 processor (yes.. core processor not Atom) with more than 6-9 hrs battery life with proper detachable keyboard (but too costly as they are just launched).

So now you can imagine after 2 more generations of processors from intel, you will be able to do everything on this 2-in-1s which you do it on your current laptop with more than 9 hrs batter life.

And advantage of intel inside tablet is - its x86 and all your desktop apps will run on it. how about that huh?

P.S. some of my impressions are biased to intel because i am typing this from an Ultrabook which can do everything or more than that of my older laptop, with 6 hrs of batterylife and complete laptop is slimmer than my older laptop's screen itself. [lenovo thinkpad X1 carbon]

Edit: After reading my post again, i feel like it is written like advertisement ๐Ÿ˜› but it is not.
  • vertika
    vertika
    i dont think tablet can replace laptop just like laptop does'nt replace desktop where laptop are use for business purpose ,programming we can't use tablet.Each and every thing has its important which can be modified but i don't think it can be replace...
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# From where did you got this information ? ->
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    If you have seen there are few tablets coming with 4th gen. Intel core i3 or i5 processor (yes.. core processor not Atom) with more than 6-9 hrs battery life with proper detachable keyboard (but too costly as they are just launched).
    AFAIK, Intel will never use core family in tablets, because it's quite obvious as it consumes huge amount of energy, hence resulting in lesser battery life.
    Plus, we're talking about 'Tablets', hence if Intel uses x86 processor in tablets (as you're saying) then there will be portability issue. Truth to be told, Intel will never ever be able to dominate Mobile market as long as ARM is there.

And, Core processors never will be embedded into tablets, maybe they'll use Haswell, Broadwell or Skylake chips in future. But no core i chips because of app portability issue, power consumption issue.
    BTW era of i686 has passed, world has moved towards x86_64
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    I guess everyone has heard of name Microsoft surface 2 pro. That ultimate thing has 4th gen. core i5 Haswell processor running full windows 8.1
    Its not only one, i have seen demo of acer iconia w700.. looks good even with 3rd gen. processor #-Link-Snipped-#

And many such tablets with improvements are coming this holiday season..
    so intel has proved point that core processors can be fitted in tablets.. and in coming generations it will improve a lot. I guess they are putting Atom processors in below $300 category tablets and putting core processors in above that range. [FYI. Haswell, broadwell and other one you mentioned, has core processors inside not Atom]

It like ARM is improving its performance year by year, and intel is improving power.
    After some time(may be 2-3 years) they will meet at some point and that war will be very interesting and beneficial to watch for consumers.

somethings off the topic i guess:
    Future of Intel vs Arm in tablets [my fav. topic ๐Ÿ˜›]
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    With performance that rivals the Surface 2, the ability to run full Windows 8.1 which includes any x86 application, incredible 10 hour battery life, and a 0.87lb(395g) weight, the Dell Venue 8 Pro is an exceptional value at an MSRP of $299.
    I am telling you this is just tip of iceberg.. many more things are coming..๐Ÿ˜€

so
    As everything is evolving, After 3-4 years you will see a product which will have tablet's portability, battery life and laptop's performance.

What do think guys, when your tablet will provide all the good features of laptops, will you switch to it?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    FYI. Haswell, broadwell and other one you mentioned, has core processors inside not Atom
    That I know, that's why I told - Core processors will never be embedded in tablets now, but they might use haswell,Broadwell & skylake in 'future'. (Maybe my poor sentence formation, messed the shit)

MAULIK_GANDHI
    Future of Intel vs Arm in tablets [my fav. topic ๐Ÿ˜›]
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    Antutu benchmark was exploited by intel, which was covered long time ago in CE. Check it : Antutu Benchmark Is Broken, Favours Intel Processors. (Intel's Cheat : Intentional ?)

MAULIK_GANDHI
    I guess everyone has heard of name Microsoft surface 2 pro. That ultimate thing has 4th gen. core i5 Haswell processor running full windows 8.1
    Its not only one, i have seen demo of acer iconia w700.. looks good even with 3rd gen. processor #-Link-Snipped-#
    Dude, do you really put Windows 8.1 in tablet section ?
    BTW if you look at statistics, Windows have 4.1% market share in tablet section, also Android & Apple are not using intel's processors in their tablets form factor, they'll stick with ARM due to very less TDP.

MAULIK_GANDHI
    As everything is evolving, After 3-4 years you will see a product which will have tablet's portability, battery life and laptop's performance.
    What do you mean by term 'portability' here ? I am talking in terms of application porting.
    Like if you have noticed that, in Chromebook which is shipped with ARM, if we unlock it & install any unix based distro, many i686 or x86_64 apps don't work (which is quite obvious).
    My question is, if Android tablet will be shipped with x86 processors by intel, how many applications from play store will work ? How many are architecture ignorant ?
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    if you look at statistics, Windows have 4.1% market share in tablet section, also Android & Apple are not using intel's processors in their tablets form factor, they'll stick with ARM due to very less TDP.
    Yup 100% true but i am discussing about future not today that thing may change..
    motivation for change: accept that some productive things android can't do thats why we go for laptop. Imagine all those things can be done on tablet with windows 8.1 [desktop flavor not RT] [with detachable keyboard if required]

And reason for less windows tablets are:
    1. Windows RT(for ARM) is big time failure because it can run only windows store apps not any desktop applications. Samsung and dell discontinued it within months..
    2. Windows for x86 (can run everything) is limited because intel is not in the market full fledge yet..

Dude, do you really put Windows 8.1 in tablet section ?
    You can't call something a tablet or laptop based on OS.
    If dell venue pro 8 (8" inch) can run windows 8.1 than it doesn't make it non-tablet.
    I don't want to go into benchmarks because often it is fooled by major OEMs to promote products (i know Samsung did some patch in software to fool benchmarks)

What do you mean by term 'portability' here ? I am talking in terms of application porting.
    Like if you have noticed that, in Chromebook which is shipped with ARM, if we unlock it & install any unix based distro, many i686 or x86_64 apps don't work (which is quite obvious).
    I guess you have great confusion about architecture.
    • Intel and ARM have total different Architecture and software designed for once cant run for other. e.g. chromebook with ARM processor can't run any x86 or x86_64 software. be it unix distro or windows 8. But if you get chromebook with lntel inside it can.
    • Intel has put lot of effort on android for x86. of course all the apps binary files should be generated again thats it and for many of the apps it has been done. After this successful transition, Intel processors will support both OS windows as well as android on same hardware. (cool isn't it?)
    • If any tablet has Intel inside it will support all the existing windows desktop applications(32-bits at least if hardware is 32-bit and both if hardware is 64 bits). (Yes because processor for desktop PC and tablet has same arch.)
    @#-Link-Snipped-# i guess i took debate off the topic.. sorry for that..๐Ÿ˜›
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    I don't want to go into benchmarks because often it is fooled by major OEMs to promote products (i know Samsung did some patch in software to fool benchmarks)
    Man, who told you this shit ? You have any proof to backup your comment ? Usually benchmarking is done by third party developers/ hardware hackers & not by company itself ? Take for example 'Phoronix' & 'Antutu', they have their own benchmarking suite which is totally opensourced & benchmarking is done using their tools. Samsung don't do that & add exploits to make their shit look better.

MAULIK_GANDHI
    I guess you have great confusion about architecture.
    • Intel and ARM have total different Architecture and software designed for once cant run for other. e.g. chromebook with ARM processor can't run any x86 or x86_64 software. be it unix distro or windows 8. But if you get chromebook with lntel inside it can.
    • Intel has put lot of effort on android for x86. of course all the apps binary files should be generated again thats it and for many of the apps it has been done. After this successful transition, Intel processors will support both OS windows as well as android on same hardware. (cool isn't it?)
    • If any tablet has Intel inside it will support all the existing windows desktop applications(32-bits at least if hardware is 32-bit and both if hardware is 64 bits). (Yes because processor for desktop PC and tablet has same arch.)
    Ohh man! you're so pro man! I don't know shit about architectures of ARM, Intel, MIPS, SPARC , PowerPC or whatever.. Can you explain me more....... man ?

Seriously? [HASHTAG]#shootingmyself[/HASHTAG]
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    @#-Link-Snipped-#
    Man, who told you this shit ? You have any proof to backup your comment ?
    Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC One caught cheating in benchmarks again | AppleInsider
    Google it.. there are multiple instances.. Be it samsung or HTC or any other company. these were the ppl who were caught. I dont know if many other OEMs also do that.

Read this article completely and your views may differ in this case
    Title says it all: They're (Almost) All Dirty: The State of Cheating in Android Benchmark ๐Ÿ˜€
    They're (Almost) All Dirty: The State of Cheating in Android Benchmarks
    This recently discovered Samsung Galaxy Note 3 apparently using "benchmark booster" to fix results - PhoneArenais a piece of software made to detect when a benchmark app is running. As soon as one is launched, it locks all of the CPU's cores at their maximum frequency of 2.3GHz in attempt to temporarily increase the phone's performance, thus artificially boosting its benchmark score.
    This kind of benchmark fudging is a practice opposed by Qualcomm and Intel, as They're (Almost) All Dirty: The State of Cheating in Android Benchmarks byAnandTech, which called attention to the benchmark doping in its testing this summer.
    So Don't just trust numbers my friend.

Can you explain me more....... man ?

Seriously? ##-Link-Snipped-#
    And instead of being sarcastic and taking it personal. just tell me which part of it (or all of it) was wrong and i will dig into it..
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# OMG that is something dope! I never knew OEMs do this kind of thing to reach at peak. Thank you for valuable information.

MAULIK_GANDHI
    And instead of being sarcastic and taking it personal. just tell me which part of it (or all of it) was wrong and i will dig into it..
    I apologize for being sarcastic & bit offensive, It's in my nature & it's hard to get off of it.

And for ARM versus Intel architecture, I know all that elementary thing, I even know bit of internal architecture difference & instruction set differences. We can discuss about that & create a great technical thread, if you wish.
  • MAULIK_GANDHI
    MAULIK_GANDHI
    Abhishek Rawal
    We can discuss about that & create a great technical thread, if you wish.
    Sure.. Lets do it.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Make a thread(in debet or technical section?) and tag me or send link it willbe useful to others too... And thats why we are here.. To share and gain knowledge ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i want to do projects using accelerometer for the mini project. and i am not able to find a good topic. can anyone please suggest me some topics that uses...
There are a lot of chemical engineers with us here and one of them started a conversation with me here on CE asking if I know the best companies for...
A lot of people who do the small forms and basic HTML web pages designing at home need a good and handy color picker tool. Mostly, when taking colors scheme...
The details of the XOLO Opus Q1000 smartphone are now out. It was announced a bit earlier but most information about its specs, features and price was not available. Now...
Was reading about the i2i cable which runs 3200 km from Chennai to Singapore, owned by Airtel and will be shared by Reliance Jio. What astonished me was that the...