Can something like Kickstarter work in India?

Kickstarter is an amazing initiative. It lets anyone post information about their project in front of people who can then decide to fund you with any amount. If people like your project and you reach the minimum amount you are looking to rise, you will get funded. Let me explain this in simpler words.

Let's say you wish to make a documentary on an important thing/issue etc. You post a video of yours explaining what you're trying to do on Kickstarter. This video will be available to all the visitors of Kickstarters. Say you want $2000 to make the complete documentary then you can set the minimum donations you'd like from people. For example you may say -

1. Those who contribute $1 : Will get access to your documentary 5 days in advance of its public release.

2. Those who contribute $10: Will get the documentary on DVD before its official release.

3. Those who contribute $50: Will get a mention of their names in 'credits' and 'sponsors' of the documentary.

5. Those who contribute $100: Will have the documentary creator read out a personal vote of thanks at the end of documentary etc.

Kickstarter has worked so wonderfully in the US that a ton of creative projects have received funding from people.

I'm wondering if a similar concept would work in India? What do you think? Why?

Replies

• Vinothmathaiyan
    Vinothmathaiyan
    Yes i do agree. This is a great initiative. I believe this will work well in INDIA. Not only in terms of money. Also in terms of right tools, resources etc.. But little bit worried as some can also misuse this as all the details will be transparent in this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, someone's gone ahead and done it. Check out: #-Link-Snipped-# - a kickstart like website where projects and startups can get crowdfunded. What's your opinion on this?
  • oprime
    oprime
    I hope that IgniteIntent is successful over the long run. Its success will encourage many people to innovate.
    Kickstarter has some seriously awesome projects related to electronics.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    This thing sounds similar to the "entrepreneurship development organizations" which frequently visit my college.

not just me, but none of my friends who have entrepreneural spirit trust these, for the reason that those people may either steal their ideas, or else leak it out to somebody far more powerful, for a fee
  • Vinothmathaiyan
    Vinothmathaiyan
    I do agree wit zaveri.. Whats your thought Kaustubh?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# - Ideas themselves are worthless. It might sound harsh - but let me tell you - everyone has world changing ideas. The real 'key' is the 'execution'. Executing an idea with the same passion, patience and zeal is not everyone's cup of tea.

Unless you've 'invented' something - be assured that your idea has already popped up in at least 1000 minds before but they chose to do nothing about it.

I'd never worry about someone stealing my idea. It's all about who works to bring it to reality. Even if people steal ideas - they won't act on it.

Big corporations are busy solving their own problems and are working on ideas that are bigger than yours.

My intention is to bring the focus on 'execution' than worrying about someone copying idea.
  • Vinothmathaiyan
    Vinothmathaiyan
    @Kausabh: I do agree with you at some point. But we had very good examples in our past history. This happened with big giants as well(Microsoft, Apple and even with facebook(I believe)).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Vinothmathaiyan
    @Kausabh: I do agree with you at some point. But we had very good examples in our past history. This happened with big giants as well(Microsoft, Apple and even with facebook(I believe)).
    They executed faster than others. All I'm saying is that faster execution is the key - the one who does it faster gets it all.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you said that "Even if people steal ideas - they won't act on it."

can you elaborate on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

you said that "Even if people steal ideas - they won't act on it."

can you elaborate on this.
    See, there is no shortage of ideas. The shortage is of people who can follow an idea to an extent of bringing it to reality. I might steal and idea and begin working on it - but I won't have the will to dedicate my energies, time and money to bring that idea to reality.

Is sharing videos online a great idea? Obviously not. It's a simple idea that YouTube founders decided to follow and built YouTube.
  • Divya Nair
    Divya Nair
    This is one would prove very useful for students who want to execute their final year projects & need funding to implement their projects directly into market.
  • Ashok Jindal
    Ashok Jindal
    you are absolutely right @#-Link-Snipped-#
    There is no deficiency of ideas in india there are several crowdfunding platforms are developed and helping peoples to raise funds.checkout: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Pawankmr
    Pawankmr
    Yes, in today's era there is nowhere shortage of ideas, all you need is to implement it nicely so that it results in great execution. Going along with crowdfunding as an idea has suddenly widened its space. You can also check out for Impact Guru as one of the fundraising platforms. #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Mrugrajsinh Vansadia
    Mrugrajsinh Vansadia
    Yes, It will definitely work in India. In fact, there are many platforms for the same.
    Crowdfunding India - Best Crowdfunding Platform & Website - Ketto
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi friends i just came to know about roundone.in , which is a site for job opportunities through paid referral. does anyone know bout this? can i give a try?...
1) why breakdown voltage decreases with increase in doping level, what actually happens when diode is heavily doped. Why zener breakdown is less than avalanche breakdown.
Flipkart's no longer a discount heaven and the company has slowly increasing prices of the services. One major increase in recent times seems to be the minimum order value that'd...
I brought a 200 rpm gear motor for my pick and place robot but I can't control it. Can I reduce its rpm to 60???? Please help.. .....
If you regularly broadcast videos then you ought to know the latest BitTorrent Live, which has just entered public beta. BitTorrent has developed a P2P streaming protocol for the masses...