Can passions change?

OK, Big heads don't shout at me.
Ever since we are born, we tend to see various things and then as we grow as as per our likings we get 'passionate' about something. No one is passionate about 'something' since birth right?

So given the ever changing circumstances and scenarios, can someone's passion change? I know you will say " I always want to do that, I am passionate about it", but think,, what created the passion stir about something in you??
can the same stir be created towards something else as well?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, passions may change. For me, I have 'added' a new passion in past one year - Photography 😛 .

I believe one must be clear about difference between simple liking and 'passion'.
  • Vega
    Vega
    Surely, it can change. Even love, which is said to have immortal, changes. Change is the only constant thing. Passion may change but not necessarily, it will always change for everyone.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    The_Big_K
    Well, passions may change. For me, I have 'added' a new passion in past one year - Photography 😛 .

I believe one must be clear about difference between simple liking and 'passion'.
    Well, you just added to your list of passions, right?? I believe passions don't generally change. Once you've identified something as your passion, then it stays as a passion for you, I think.

If you suddenly start disliking it and feel passionate about something else, then you've identified your passion wrongly in the first place.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Passion doesn't change but the focus can. If you change from several hobbies, the passion is still the same and remains, the focus being each new hobby has changed. The passion is not the specific hobby but the emotional response it creates, usually stemming from excitement, newness & creativity/discovery.
  • callyD
    callyD
    Maybe there is one true passion in life, but I believe our passions change over time as we as people change and develop.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    All the views seem to be justified to me.
    Like you have a passion, but you add up further passions to your list. Now this might actually lead to a focus change from one passion to another.
    This thought came to my mind, when I heard a real incident narrated by my friend.
    A girl from IIT , graduated and opened a garment shop :-|.
    Now may be fashion desinging is her passion or soemthing which makes her happy, but then the whole point of studying at IIT has been lost there.
    I am not talking about liking here , as liking wont drift soemone towrads taking such drastic career changin decisisons.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    yes passions may change
    Life needs change ..if there is no change then there will be no fun😉
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ Goyal,

Change is constant everyone knows it, but holding on to what you love to do irrespective of circumstances is something where passion is involved. This is my thought though.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I completely agree with Gohm!!

[SPAM]
    Yeah Change is constant , but according to geeta change is something constant which happens on its own and its never true that it happens as we want it to happen it happens on its own!
    [/SPAM]
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Is "Burn Out" due to Pavlovian conditioning?

A common example of a change in passions is "burn out". For example, a person may pursue academic studies eagerly and then suddenly find that he has no more taste for doing his work.

I conjecture that "burn out" is often caused by the psychological phenomena of "Pavlovian conditioning". In that situation, the action of an animal is followed with some punishment or reward. The animal learns to avoid or perform the action.

When people pursue an activity eagerly, they often make sacrifices. For example a student may get too little sleep, skip social activities, etc. So, in pursuing the activity, he is "punishing" himself. He may "condition" himself to avoid the activity without realizing that this is happening.

A even simpler example of this (in my case) is the association of noise with the use of certain power tools. A person with good hearing is "punished" when he uses a tool that makes a loud noise. (Even using a computer with a noisy fan can be subtle punishment.) To do work, one can often choose between hand tools and power tools and a person may tend to pick the tool that gives the least "punishment" instead of the tool that is most effective. I am much more willing to use power tools now that I have made the habit of wearing ear protectors.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Re: Is "Burn Out" due to Pavlovian conditioning?

tashirosgt
    A common example of a change in passions is "burn out". For example, a person may pursue academic studies eagerly and then suddenly find that he has no more taste for doing his work.

I conjecture that "burn out" is often caused by the psychological phenomena of "Pavlovian conditioning". In that situation, the action of an animal is followed with some punishment or reward. The animal learns to avoid or perform the action.
    Tashiro, what you are mentioning is a case of Conditioned Learning (Pavlov's dog being the example). But conditioned learning has got nothing to do with Passion. Passion comes from within, whereas conditioned learning comes from external influences (in the dog's case, the food and the bell).

+1 on the Burn Out due to Pavlovian conditioning.
  • madugula
    madugula
    i think passions do change like everything else. passion is nothing but a strong desire for something.
    if we consider a person,
    at the age of 8-10years, he may have passion for toys, ice creams, chocolates or whatever..
    same person in the teenage may have passion for bikes, to dominate others...
    and at the age of 21-35, the passion may be of settling in life, career...
    so according to me, not only with change in circumstances but with maturity, change occurs in the mind set of people which may alter their priorities in life...
  • Rucha Wankhede
    Rucha Wankhede
    Rather than change of passions, I guess it would be more appropriate to call it adding on to a passion, because the core or passion or centrality of that thing whatever you choose to call it never changes. The centrality of your life a core value or interest is what probably we can define as passion, some thing that you will 'always' regret not doing. So in that case, it never gets replaced. Our means of doing it can change with times for sure.
    The exclusive thing we call passion is very difficult to find or 'stumble' upon in life, so it might be confused with as being 'changed' with time. Most of the times we are unaware of it in the first place, so chances are ever more higher. So well there are I guess no hard marked boundaries of a yes and no answer for this question. Being mindfully aware is what we can all in the least fulfill to answer it 😀
  • Charan V
    Charan V
    Passions change, but most of them fail. To convert passion to success it needs training or else they will be short lived. 90% of time people lose grip over their passionate feelings during that 'training' period. This is because they don't have a holistic view of their goals. The more we dream and research about that activity, the better are the chances to achieve success.
  • Akhil C Joy
    Akhil C Joy
    Hi all,

In my point passion is not changing it is desire will be changed. I want to say strongest desire is passion.

For example when I was a child, I want to become a IPS officer, A Don, A Business Tycoon, A Social Worker, A RAW agent. But later I realized that my passion is technology.

We can identify our passion by exploring our self. It will make you more attracted to that by news, articles, books. In such time you will skip your food and sleep for that.

Your career should be based on three things.
    • Goals
    • Passions
    • Values

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In series of short stories, again one short story from me (received in an e-mail from one of my friend.) Think Higher... A man saw a poor boy lokking at...
Please suggest me about implementing Page Ranking Algorithm.What will be the Requirement for that?How will be it implemented? Tell me whether I have to develop a new search engine for...
Guys please help: I have this device and I have to connect it with an existing asp.net web application. The device has to scan barcode and the scanned value has...
I am looking for level sensor to store raw material in a tank having height of 500mm.The raw material is highly corrosive in nature.The sensor must work for the range...
As in internet information is transferred in the form of packets? can anyone tell me what is speed of these packets and if it is not fixed on what factors...