Can I use alcohol as fuel at emergency situations?

When i was go throughing my dad's shine owners manual i came across a passage where they described that if in case alcohol is in petrol, it should match good octane number to get operated.I understand that its harmful to engine life and emission but for emergency situations, can i use alcohol instead of petrol as fuel?

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well, I am not sure, but if your dad's vehicle is not a flex fuel vehicle (FFV), running it on 100% ethanol might mean no ignition. This might be due to the higher Octane rating of Ethanol, which means higher Activation energy. Since the car might not be FFV (assuming its strictly gasoline/petrol), the spark might provide only enough energy to combust gasoline at the given Compression Ratio. That energy might not be enough for Ethanol to combust at the given Compression Ratio.

Even if the spark provides enough energy, since the Air-Fuel ratio and Lower Heating Value, both, for ethanol are lower as compared to gasoline's, more ethanol would be required to maintain the same power delivery as gasoline.

I am not even sure of what would happen to emissions. My suggestion is, consult a researcher before you actually do something. It might or might not cause irreparable damage to the engine.
  • Bella Edward
    Bella Edward
    I have never tried it and i do not think so. you cannot use alcohol instead of fuel due to low combustion rates!
  • ABHINAV ANIMESH
    ABHINAV ANIMESH
    yes ofcourse you can use alcohol as a fuel but it is not good for engine health
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    #-Link-Snipped-# Sir,
    little bit more clarification on my question.
    Its not a four wheeler. Its a two wheeler named : HONDA SHINE.
    It described that if alcohol is in petrol, the total octane value should be high for proper combustion of fuel. But my question is whether i can use alcohol in emergency times where i can find a alcohol store near me but not a petrol bunk.
    Can i blend alcohol with petrol? Will it blend perfectly? What may be the best proportion to be blended for emergency situations.
    #-Link-Snipped-# Your take on this SIr?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The engine should be able to handle pure alcohol though the carburetor may have to be set differently.
    What you need is alcohol that is dry. What is called absolute alcohol. Not available from stores. Alcohol is C2H5(OH). It already has some oxygen. To that extent its power output for an equal weight of petrol is less. The engine will not start under very cold conditions, which is not a problem in the tropics. There are no emission issues.
    You will probably be better off with a small bottle of petrol kept in reserve under the seat.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    A.V.Ramani
    The engine should be able to handle pure alcohol though the carburetor may have to be set differently.
    What you need is alcohol that is dry. What is called absolute alcohol. Not available from stores. Alcohol C2H5(OH). It already has some oxygen. To that extent its power output for an equal weight of petrol is less. The engine will not start under very cold conditions, which is not a problem in the tropics. There are no emission issues.
    You will probably be better off with a small bottle of petrol kept in reserve under the seat.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Thanks a lot sir. It clears my doubt.
  • muthupandi.M
    muthupandi.M
    I agree with above point. Most of hydro carbon contain liquids, gases,solids are capable of using as fuel but it need some modification in fuel or in engine.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A.V.Ramani
    What you need is alcohol that is dry. What is called absolute alcohol. Not available from stores. Alcohol is C2H5(OH). It already has some oxygen. To that extent its power output for an equal weight of petrol is less. The engine will not start under very cold conditions, which is not a problem in the tropics. There are no emission issues.

#-Link-Snipped-#
    Well #-Link-Snipped-# Sir, are you absolutely sure about the emission? I belie e since the LHV of ethyl alcohol is lesser than petrol, The adiabatic temperature should be lower, may be just enough to result in the formation of CO.

Besides, I dont think you can mix alcohol and petrol at home. The E85 that you get on petrol pumps is synthetically produced and have some more chemicals besides just ethanol and isooctane.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Alcohols tend to burn completely and so have less chance of CO emission. There could be some problem mixing methyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol will mix well. Because of higher octane rating, alcohol helps to use unleaded petrol. Because pure ethanol can be consumed there are legal issues in India to buy this from general outlets. dry denatured alcohol should work as well. Methyl alcohol leads to vapor lock as it has a high vapor pressure at tropical temperatures.
    This article gives some useful info.
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    Alcohol mixed with petrol at ratio 1:9 to 2:8 is known as power fuel which is used by some people in petrol engine to get extra power. Also there are drag race cars which use alcohol fumes as fuel.
    Considering your question on whether alcohol can be used as stand alone fuel, I think it should work. But it may damage your engine by rust formation as the oh group in alcohol may form water and this may even effect engine performance.
    This is my opinion only, may not be that accurate.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Real Aslam
    But it may damage your engine by rust formation
    Corrosion is a known hazard in the use of alcohol as a fuel.
  • Real Aslam
    Real Aslam
    A.V.Ramani
    Corrosion is a known hazard in the use of alcohol as a fuel.
    That is true sir. I think use of more chromium in the alloy may solve corrosion issue to the fuel/smoke exposed parts.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What kind of engineering works need one company that develop very accuracy arm robots except develop engineer in mechanics or develop engineer in control and what these engineers do in...
You have three hours to come up with the best/most craziest caption for the following image to win the prize! ​
Reached $1M USD RealSense challenge with as many as eight entries out of 300 final selected proposals. Vijaykarnataka had a nice write up about the achievement. Sharing with community.
Contify, a curated intelligence platform for delivering the first line of market intelligence to large enterprises around the world, was founded by Mohit Bhakuni in the year 2009. Contify helps...
We're giving away TWO t-shirts TODAY - to the best engineer you've come across in your life! Yeah - win for your friend, teacher, professor, colleague, spouse, sibling or anyone...