Can 'Hibernate' Affect The Battery Life & HDD Life ?

I am not shutting down my laptop since last two days. I am just hibernating it. I have compiled my kernel from sources and added #-Link-Snipped-# . And honestly I am enjoying my linux machine with TuxOnIce and uksmd patch even more!

What my concern is, does it affect Battery life, battery performance in long run ? Does it has adverse effect on HDD ?

I would also like to know how Hibernate really works in Kernel level ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hibernation is a power saving mode; but that means the battery is still engaged. So keeping the battery engaged is likely to affect its overall life. I however do not see it affecting the HDD life significantly in the longer run.

But my assumption is based on regular hibernation mode. Not sure how the TuxOnIce handles it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I however do not see it affecting the HDD life significantly in the longer run.
    I asked that because contents of memory is dumped into HDD and once laptop comes out of hibernation it is sent back to memory. Now, I read in websites that coming out of hibernation takes long time since HDD is slower than RAM (obvious). But I have noticed my laptop comes out of hibernation in just 3-4 seconds and I am not even using SSD.

I would like to know how much time does it take to resume its state in your OS (Windows or OS X) with Chromium opened with 14 tabs (consuming around 1.4 GB of memory) in total.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One of the real reasons to put your machine into hibernation is that it takes lesser time to 'start up'. I don't put my machine into sleep mode and prefer turning it off when not in use. I've also made a point never to have more than 3-4 tabs open when I'm working. Google Chrome continues to be a sucker on OSX and hence I prefer Safari.

Btw, most of the modern devices are engineered for 'always on' mode. I'd not worry too much about long term performance. HDD prices aren't huge so you can get it replaced. But you'll make a great use case 😉
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    It could be problematic for low end HDD. Frequent read-write at to HDD, may be at same physical location.
    Hibernation is simply copy the RAM data in HDD and on power up. It just copy back to RAM.
    I heard some people complaining about HDD issue and motherboard problem with hibernation. but never occurred to me.
    On windows 8 Desktop, hibernation and normal start up both take same time for me, ~30 sec. For Windows 7, it was huge difference ~40 sec for wake up from hibernation and almost ~2min for start-up.
    For OSX, It's pretty awesome that they able to resume instantly. Why can't Windows/Linux does this?

Abhishek Rawal
    with Chromium opened with 14 tabs (consuming around 1.4 GB of memory) in total.
    Yes, once in while, for me also with Win8 chrome makes even processor to cry like I am running a heavy game, and I have to restart it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Anoop Kumar
    Why can't Windows/Linux does this?
    Don't know about Windows, never cared. But I can assure that Vanilla Kernel with uksmd & TuxOnIce patch, I can resume my work from hibernation in 2-4 seconds.
    Atleast for my system,AMD Kabini series APU & Graphics with no proprietary blobs.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Back in November 2014, news about Mi India, the maker of Xiaomi smartphones, planning to manufacture their mobile devices right here in India starting making rounds. Well now, keeping up...
Raspberry Pi continues to be one of the most favoured DIY board around the world. I'd love to see all the interesting projects you are working on in your part...
Dear Sir, I am currently working in MNC as IOS app developer. I have overall 2 year 8 month IT experience. In IOS App dev I have around 2 years...
Even with the medical advances of today, the age-old process of blood tests requires the patient to go to the pathology lab, give the blood sample and wait for about...
For all the Carl Sagan fans out there, this is a must-see video - ​ “Consider again the pale blue dot we’ve been talking about. Imagine that you take a...