can google search be 'extended' to desktop search

:smile:

i search a document on google and google returns..

what if i already have a file in some of my lappy's drive which meets the search criteria???

is this possible to integrate the web search functionality and desktop functionality in google???I am not talking about google desktop search though!!!!

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Its possible, but it would be direct invasion of one's privacy. Its very much possible for Google (or any other company to do it). Most of the leading companies (MS, GOOG, Y!) have their desktop search engines installed on thousands of computers. All the search engine has to do is to query the individual desktop search clients (a better approach would be to copy the index on their own servers etc.)

However, I do not think its effective.

Btw, is this a debate topic? Or shall we move it to Chit-Chat?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    durga
    :smile:

i search a document on google and google returns..

what if i already have a file in some of my lappy's drive which meets the search criteria???

is this possible to integrate the web search functionality and desktop functionality in google???I am not talking about google desktop search though!!!!

I Would rather say is it possible to merge the search functionality over WEB + local system + systems on LAN. ๐Ÿ˜

CE guyz.. a tough challenge for CEan's. any idea?

As for as I know in CE labs, a project is going on for combined search of WEB + local system, so Durga you are going to find it soon.

-CB
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Btw, is this a debate topic? Or shall we move it to Chit-Chat?[/QUOTE]

Biggie caught you!!! 'BTW' no SMS text please!!! ๐Ÿ˜

just kidding..

yeah move it to chit chat... i did not pay much attention to the section I started the thread in!!!

So move it where ever its appropriate!!

and I did not get what You meant by intruding ones privacy.... I want the search to be extended to my desktop...so how is it intruding my privacy... Yup Agree that it might do do so when implemented in co operate organisations..
    yup along with google desktop search ,, windows search as well is effective... but I was just thinking how would it look if I search in internet and the results also include desktop results... not that I would want my personal folders to be accesible through internet... but infact google search engine to search my desktop....i hope i am making sense
  • anuragh27crony
    anuragh27crony
    durga
    Biggie caught you!!! 'BTW' no SMS text please!!! ๐Ÿ˜

but I was just thinking how would it look if I search in internet and the results also include desktop results... not that I would want my personal folders to be accesible through internet... but infact google search engine to search my desktop....i hope i am making sense
    To My surprise ๐Ÿ˜ฒ...... Biggie has broken the rule of CE ๐Ÿ˜‰... then He needs to be punished ๐Ÿ˜

Yeah .... It may be possible

Rather Web searching your desktop or system.... i feel it's better and best that Desktop search engines should have the option to retrieve results from the Web then display along with the desktop results...it will save the Privacy in any scenario (Personal or Organization wise).....

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody tell me some good colleges for Distance learning or correspondence MBA. Is there any difference in the two? I have 3.5 yrs of experience in IT and its...
i heard that information through internet travels through cables under sea. is it true? That means there is under sea cable connection between all the countries....
hey i bought a hp dv2910tx with vista pre loaded. now i need to install Xp. but the xp setup is not detecting my hard disk even thought the pre...
Hello everyone. I want to build an aircraft that can hover in one place and move in different directions but I am not talking about the VSTOL in some planes...
hey sry for the commotion well madeup a logo hope ya might like it ... tell me culdnt do posting in that section comments wellcomed ๐Ÿ˜›