Can AAP reduce electricity bills by 50% in Delhi? What's The Plan?

Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) has promised to bring down the electricity bills by 50% in Delhi if they get to form the government in Delhi. While that does look like a bold claim, I'm wondering what steps will AAP take to bring down the costs by 50%. Is it possible?

From my limited knowledge of the Delhi city; I think the capital does not produce its own power (please correct me if I'm wrong). If that's true, it must purchase power from other state - and in such a situation; reducing electricity bills by 50% could be very difficult.

How do the whole technicalities and economics work if electricity bills are reduced by 50%?

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    They got some serious claims. Like water and power for instance. They must be having some kind of plan, only then they could say. Maybe they are focusing on their own power unit. They are reducing the privatization. Introducing some schemes on save electricity kind of, maybe increase revenue on corporate sale of power, limit power consumption level per meter. Maybes are too many
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, their manifesto looks good on paper and I'll really appreciate if they can do it. I'm not skeptic about their plan because Kejariwal is an engineering (IIT KGP) and I'd trust his knowledge about reducing the bills by 50%. I'm more interested in knowing 'how'?

Setting up their own power plant isn't going to be easy on Delhi's budgets. The only thing that seems 'workable' is that they cut down the commissions of the distribution companies by a HUGE margin - and I'm not sure how's that going to work.

Corporate power will be sold at a higher price and if they raise the prices - then expect it to affect the manufacturing prices - which would ultimately come down on the common man AAP is trying to protect from inflation. They may simple execute load shading - but that's not what AAP has promised. People may not respond to 'save electricity drives'. Habits take a long time to change.

Do we have AAP volunteers here?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Well they are going to cut down commission and stop corrupt scenes for sure. If that is the real reason and the major one behind high prices then it is a real shame for us. And this doesn't need Kejriwal to fix. Any responsible government can. But again. Congress!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    AAP volunteers knows that what AAP is going to do, 'HOW?' they do not have concrete answer...

Being a NCR resident I can think of following:
    - Saving crores of money that is going in corruption and use that for bearing some cost by government
    - Saving some money from third parties that works as middle men in electricity supply
    - NCR is THE AREA that waste the electricity on road's and corporate offices. They may have plans to install solar units their to save the electricity that will reduce the consumption and price
    - Making a pact with neighboring electricity generator state for give (they require) n take (electricity)

These are just guess... because I am sure AAP must be thinking of reducing price mostly using administrative way only, because if they had some techno plans they can execute that without forming the government as well, right?

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If they can curb the prices by 50% using those mechanisms - it'd be an interesting exercise (a Ph.D topic) to see how the prices are influenced by unwanted middlemen and corruption. Installing solar powered lights on the streets may be an option; but I'm totally unaware of how economical it will be under current situation.

I think they've no plans to make technical tweaks. It'd also be interesting to see how they ensure that every part of Delhi receives electricity 24x7; that's not mentioned in their manifesto but I'm sure people would expect that.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I am little worried because AAP is still unsure to be the winner of elections while party leader had said that his party is ready for fresh elections.is this a publicity stunt?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    After free water now Delhi folks will now enjoy electricity at half rates... (Audit rocks.. AAP Rocks)

-CB
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anil Jain
    After free water now Delhi folks will now enjoy electricity at half rates... (Audit rocks.. AAP Rocks)

-CB
    It's very surprising! Does anyone know what's the trick?
  • yogi.bharadwaj
    yogi.bharadwaj
    guys according to my views our india is totally corrupted and i donot blem the polliticiencs for all this because it happened just because of public. Guys as you take the matter of delhi electricity bill at half rates so i want to say that it is not a hard task if there is far policy i.e. about 40% public uses the electricity power but not pay for that they uses it freely but some people uses and pay for it and as you know that the government will buy the electricity from other states so will have to pay for all the units comsumed and these unit are the combination of that 40% people useage and other since these 40% do not have any connection so the whole electricity bill is distriuted among the other people who pay for it and the charges increases.
    So if the electricity theft is blocked or monimised the electicity bills will itself gets minimised. so guys am i right if i am wrong pls correct me.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

why there are more no of tyres at rear of buses and trucks...is it related to roll stability of vehicle
Adding another device to feature the pure Android experiences, LG has announced the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition. Earlier, we saw the HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S4...
As the HTC Desire brand becomes more and more popular in India, the ones who wan't an alternative to Samsung and Apple smartphones are fast opting for HTC's new range...
My father today read me an excerpt from a newspaper on the topic - Tablets can not replace Laptops & Desktops. He was curious to know what the young generation...
i want to do projects using accelerometer for the mini project. and i am not able to find a good topic. can anyone please suggest me some topics that uses...