Can a system file be deleted?

What is a system file?? Is it possible to delete a system file? And how can change any file to system file?

Replies

• Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    Hi #-Link-Snipped-#, welcome to CE.

I'm assuming you asked this query from the perspective of Operating Systems. Basically, system files are those which are responsible for working of your operating system. Just like you write programs for performing various tasks and operations, system files altogether makes your system work.

Usually, system files are hidden as they are under execution when the system is running and obviously system does not want these files to be modified by user. Though in some cases, user can delete/modify system files which can lead to partial/complete failure of system or the system may behave abnormally.
    In Windows environment, system files have extension as .sys. System considers files with .sys extension as important, but it doesn't necessarily make them system files. Hope this clarify your questions.
  • Bhargavi A Kulkarni
    Bhargavi A Kulkarni
    In Command prompt, traverse to the folder where the file is stored and use "Attrib +h+s filename.extension" command to change any file into system file

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The voltage gain of an amplifier decreases 20 dB decade above 100kHz,If the mid band frequency gain is 80 dB.What is the value of the voltage gain at 2MHz.
Please give suggestions for a mini project which covers both Web Technology and DBMS.
frndz..., can anyone please give me the trusted website address where i could buy some ICs?👎
frndz... what is the recent progress in the field of VTLN.....?
Current most discussed topic in India is woman safety. I am not starting discussion about who are the culprits. Rather, I just want to know how many of females reading...