Buy grocery (Kirana) online from Flipkart - Will the prices be lower?

I've seen a huge jump in people starting up businesses to offer Grocery (Kirana) online to Indians. I'm not sure if the eCommerce model holds any promise; but it surely is going to redefine the way people buy everyday stuff. Amazon has already announced 'Kirana Now' initiative in India and as expected Flipkart has followed the suit. I've been hearing from multiple sources that Flipkart will start selling groceries online in the next few weeks.

Flipkart is going to make a foray into the grocery business by testing it in-house first. That means the local players like LocalBanya, ZopNow, BigBasket will have to dream of scaling their business faster than dreaming of Flipkart acquiring them. It makes perfect sense for Flipkart to start the business themselves - and why not? They've got the warehouses, strong logistics (via eKart Logistics Pvt. Ltd.), an online storefront and a popular mobile app as well. The competition however is going to be quite stiff. There are two heavyweights sitting in the market already - Amazon and Snapdeal (which partnered with Godrej Nature's Basket).

...and boy! Flipkar does have all the cash in the world too to make things happen. Kirana is too big a market for the online retailers to miss. The biggest challenge however is to ensure timely delivery of the goods and strong competition from the local grocery stores.

Do you think online grocery sale will work in markets like India?

Replies

• Koushal Patel
    Koushal Patel
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Do you think online grocery sale will work in markets like India?
    Absolutely Yes!
    If a person like me who becomes happy to see the last row of DMart's slip which reads you saved Rs 383 (say) on printed price, why not I should go ahead stepping into the e-Dukaan of these websites! Moreover, I can spend that time in any other activity.

More or less, these companies are having a tight fight and customers are getting benefitted. As long as, I do not have a start up business of e-Commerce like this (I do not have any idea as well 😁 ), and I am customer, I would always enjoy these kind of competitions, because, It is me, who is going to the get the best deals and services!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

According to ASSOCHAM, 42.5% of all the corporate employees in India are suffering from depression or general anxiety disorder. Some of the biggest contributors of stress among Indian employees are...
Audi is all set to dazzle Indian roads as the company's management has declared the launch of its 5 different models, one each month starting this month. The first one...
The name's "Redstone"! Microsoft's engineers seem to have named the next major upgrade to Windows 10 likely to be released next year. While we all are waiting for Windows 10...
I have recently done a survey where I have mapped the quality of the soil versus mineral contents in it. As a result, I have got some tabular data where...
Though it might feel that of the many problems that a small company faces, the biggest challenge may vary from startup to startup, but the truth is that most startups...