BSNL Has Ridiculous FUP Limits On Upgraded 2Mbps Broadband

All you BSNL Landline Broadband owners must be excited to hear the news from the telecom minister Ravi Shankar Prasad on how BSNL has redefined broadband in India by offering minimum internet speed of 2MBps instead of 512kbps from the next month. But some of you might have already figured out the catch in this scenario and that is the existence of ridiculous FUP (Fair Usage Policy) limits even on unlimited broadband plans of the national service provider.

bsnl-logo โ€‹

While #-Link-Snipped-# carried out the information that was dispensed by the Government of India, some Exclusive: BSNL to upgrade all Broadband plans to minimum 2Mbps pre FUP speed Pan India from October | TelecomTalk have got hold of the change in plans and the first thing that you notice that the speed drops to the existing 512kbps on unlimited plans once you cross 1GB of download.

This is just ridiculous; any user on unlimited usage is of course going to blow this limit within a few hours, not even days. So this raise in broadband speed is not going to make any difference in your daily broadband usage. I cannot wait for Reliance Jio now, who are hopefully going to launch affordable high speed internet plans with unlimited usage.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am currently using Gujarat circle promotional plan BBG 649 CS27 that gives me 2 Mbps for 5 GB and then 512 kbps. I am too looking for some ISP, some local ISP with great customer support. I have used Reliance before, such a fraud!
    I miss BBG FN 630, the bloody awesome Night UL combo plan with 2 Mbps bandwidth which was too awesome that all Nocturnals and smart peeps used to have it. I don't know why BSNL removed it ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am currently using Gujarat circle promotional plan BBG 649 CS27 that gives me 2 Mbps for 5 GB and then 512 kbps. I am too looking for some ISP, some local ISP with great customer support. I have used Reliance before, such a fraud!
    I miss BBG FN 630, the bloody awesome Night UL combo plan with 2 Mbps bandwidth which was too awesome that all Nocturnals and smart peeps used to have it. I don't know why BSNL removed it ๐Ÿ‘Ž๐Ÿ˜ก
    We are using GTPL and You Broadband here in Surat. You may try any one of them in your area.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I had argued with the BSNL officials about these data usage limits. They said they acknowledge the problem as it's the most common complaint for almost all of their broadband customers. I've a feeling that they haven't upgraded their hardware to really support the bandwidth. People leaving their computers on all the day to download gigs of torrents doesn't go well with the BSNL's infrastructure.

My all hopes are focused on Reliance Jio; scheduled to launch in December of Q1 next year. The 'leaked' plans have shown that they are are liberal about the data usage limits and the speeds. But only time will tell.

We've been using the FTTH service which I think is excellent from the point of connectivity. But when the guys from Hyderabad get 2x or 3x more speeds and data usage limits for fraction of the costs; I feel envious. Relocating to Hyderabad isn't an option as of now. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've a feeling that they haven't upgraded their hardware to really support the bandwidth. People leaving their computers on all the day to download gigs of torrents doesn't go well with the BSNL's infrastructure.
    What if FUP is the way to decrease the piracy rate ? ๐Ÿ˜•
    Isn't FUP mandatory for all ISP ?
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    BSNL has redefined broadband in India by offering minimum internet speed of 2MBps instead of 512kbps from the next month.
    Isn't it complete scam๐Ÿ˜ก. If it broadband, minimum speed should be post FUP.

How about defining minimum broadband speed 100Mbps.
    Upto 100mb you will get 100Mbps, post FUP 64Kbps.โ˜•โ˜•
  • SandyRockz
    SandyRockz
    We are using DEN Boomband in our office you can also use it.DEN Boomband brings to you, for the first time in India, the experience of superfast surfing with 100Mbps speed.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I cannot wait for Reliance Jio now, who are hopefully going to launch affordable high speed internet plans with unlimited usage.
    You just spoke for everyone when you said that. Anyone has any idea about Idea, Airtel and other popular network's FUP limits?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Ankita Katdare
    Anyone has any idea about Idea, Airtel and other popular network's FUP limits?
    For Airtel broadband I get 16 Mbps with a cap of 100 GB per month. I pay about 1750 INR/month for this plan.

There are other ISPs in Hyderabad that offer similar speeds & download limits at a fraction of the cost - but I've heard too many horror stories of service disruptions running into days, poor support that I'm happy to pay a little extra for reliable service.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Aashish Joshi
    For Airtel broadband I get 16 Mbps with a cap of 100 GB per month. I pay about 1750 INR/month for this plan
    What is the speed after 100GB?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Anoop Kumar
    What is the speed after 100GB?
    Earlier when I was on a different plan (that had 50 GB limit) the speed was reduced to 512 Kbps after the "high speed" quota was over. This happened once in 2 - 3 months.

With the increased limit I'm yet to experience this ๐Ÿ˜ but I believe the speed post FUP should be 512 Kbps for this plan as well.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello sir/ma'am, I am pursuing b.tech in electronics and instrumentation from UPTU (MIT). Recently I am in the fifth sem and i scored 73% in second year. I have completed...
what is mean by inactive satellite in space ?
i m thinking of doing a project that includes serial communication between Xbee module and atmega32 through USART. through some web browsing i found out that these two devices have...
After few days of tweaking, I have finally managed to lower the boot time of my system to ~14s from ~26s. I know 14s is still way too much, but...
Verizon Communications, one of the leading broadband and telecom companies in the United States has announced that it will begin the trials of the next generation wireless technology, 5G, sometime...