BSNL EVDO - Speed / FUP / Plans Etc.

I am currently using BSNL broadband, however the speed is dead slow. I saw EVDO plans and it is surprisingly cheap and faster with no FUP.
Now, I am too damn lame, n00b and stupid to understand this EVDO thing. Is there anyone that can help me understand it ?

I mean, what I need for EVDO connection ? Any special modem/router ? Is it possible to share connection with multiple devices ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    I am currently using BSNL broadband, however the speed is dead slow. I saw EVDO plans and it is surprisingly cheap and faster with no FUP.
    Now, I am too damn lame, n00b and stupid to understand this EVDO thing. Is there anyone that can help me understand it ?

I mean, what I need for EVDO connection ? Any special modem/router ? Is it possible to share connection with multiple devices ?
    I used EVDO back in 2007 and 2008 when it was 'brand new' thing. BSNL had introduced some crazy awesome plans to attract users to EVDO. The problem is that it never delivers the speed it promises; and is highly dependent on the signal in your location.

Your best bet is to have the BSNL guy demo it for you at the location you'd be using it for most of your time. Otherwise, stick to the 3G plans any of the network operator is offering. BSNL EVDO is likely to frustrate you with speed and service.

You don't need any special router. All you need is a tiny device that fits into the USB port of your laptop or desktop. You should be able to split the connection into multiple devices through a router; but don't take my word for it.

Just be aware that EVDO speeds will vary A LOT based on your location. A demo at BSNL own office could be highly misleading. By the way, do you plan to use it at a fixed location or on the go?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Thanks for input.

Kaustubh Katdare
    By the way, do you plan to use it at a fixed location or on the go?
    Location is fixed. My main concern is speed. After 15 days my exams will be done and then next 15 days I am aiming to purchase & download shitloads of game (Steam summer sale is near).

Currently my ISP provides 512 kbps of bandwidth. With this speed, It will take atleast a month to download 25-30 Gigs of single game. I need something around 2 to 3 Mbps, and that too cheap.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    Location is fixed.
    Nothing beats the FTTH when it comes to reliability and speed. As I said, you've got to have the BSNL guy demo the connection speed at the exact location. If it works, go for it. I used it for a long time (2-3 years) but then gave up. It's the 3G / 4G era. EVDO is a thing of a past now.

What exactly are the rates you're getting for EVDO, including the device cost?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What exactly are the rates you're getting for EVDO, including the device cost?
    795 INR per month ULD.
    What's the rate of FTTH connection ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Abhishek Rawal
    795 INR per month ULD.
    What's the rate of FTTH connection ?
    Look at these plans (apart from the regular FTTH plans, which are very pricey)

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Look at these plans (apart from the regular FTTH plans, which are very pricey)

#-Link-Snipped-#
    I have looked at all those plans thoroughly. Nothing interesting. They removed Night UL plan. sad sad 😔

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Today I had checked ma number in one of friend's mobile with True caller. The number displyaing with ma name correctly but the profile picture is one of ma other...
@Kaustubh I have one Doubt in this 2015 1.What. is the update between testing and in development side? 2.i completed my b.e ece this month and i was placed in...
How to start with writing a technical paper based on any topic
Intex Mobiles is here with a smashing new smartphone called the 'Intex Aqua Star II HD' that comes with a really decent set of features. The phone might just be...
Hi, How am I supposed to compute the Eigen values of a matrix(any order) using C/Java language. Is there a numerical approximation method to solve for the Eigen values? Just...