Brand Loyalty Vs. Discounts - Understanding The Indian Consumer

I'm an ardent follower of the Indian startup scene; and when the very well (read hyper) funded companies shut their shops; I do my own analysis of what went wrong. The entire e-commerce scene in India, which is a major domain in Indian startup scene, is based on one 'belief' :

Grow consumer base at any cost, by offering discounts to build loyalty.

I guess most of the investors are prepared for the long term game that spans several years. They're ready to pump the money so that the companies can offer stuff at cheaper prices. There's nothing wrong with this strategy as I guess, it's worked very well in several of the western markets. It's obvious for the startup companies and investors to think that this will work in India as well.

But I guess, that's a WRONG assumption!

I firmly believe that Indian consumer is more driven by discounts and prices over loyalty. You might have seen this trend in your own family while making purchases. If you've been a Flipkart Fan, I'm sure you won't mind switching to Amazon to buy that book for even Rs. 20 or Rs. 30 cheaper. I personally check all the stores I can before I decide on hitting the 'buy' button and check out.

That's the reason, many of the startups who try to build their consumer base by offering discounts are unable to sustain operations in the longer run. I'm yet to know of a funded 'startup' that's making profits - which is the 'main' thing for any business' survival and growth.

I'd like to ask you - what matters to you the most: Discounts or Loyalty?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is your device security the most important thing for you? Does your work require high privacy? Well, then the Solarin handset is for you. Sirin Labs, a British-Israeli company, is...
Hello guys, I'm a B.E. grad 2015 who's completed software testing course and looking for job opportunities. So, I got this opportunity to work from home for a company (LLC)...
Swipe Technologies has been quick to launch the third member of the Elite family titled the Elite Note. The Swipe Elite Note is an entry-level phablet sized smartphone that features...
Finish telecom network maker Nokia bought the French consumer electronics company Withings S.A for about 170 million euros (Rs. 1271 Crores) on 26 April 2016, in move to strengthen its...
Scientists at Iowa State University in USA have successfully developed micro-scale, liquid-metal particles which can be put to use for heat-free soldering, fabricating, repairing and processing of metals - all...