Brain-to-brain interface lets you control your friend's physical movements

Researchers, Rajesh Rao and Andrea Stocco of the University of Washington have developed world's first human brain-to-brain interface. Using the technique, Rajesh Rao was able to control the movements of Andrea Stocco. The duo demonstrated their technology by playing a game. Both researchers sat in different rooms across the campus. Rao began playing a game with his mind and Stocco wore a magnetic simulation coil over the left motor cortex region of his brain. Rao then remotely controlled Stocco's brain so that his finger involuntarily hit the 'fire' button. Rajesh Rao sent a signal to Stocco's brain which caused his finger to move involuntarily.

slide

Brain-to-brain interface was earlier demonstrated on rats by researchers at Duke University. However, this is the first time that this experiment has bee successfully performed on humans. Researchers captured a full video of their experiment, see it below -

Read more about the research on source link below.

Source: Researcher controls colleague’s motions in 1st human brain-to-brain interface | UW News

Replies

• Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Isn't this a direct violation of human rights?
    One person can control the other doesn't seem valid to me. This technology if goes into wrong hands can screw up the entire system. It is too risky to be deployed in any section or field of work
  • envira
    envira
    Amazing i can say, this helps for more better treatment for neurologically disabled.
    Something like this i have encountered 3 years ago, i would share it soon 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    One person is controlling the other with his consent! That does not breach any of the human rights. Of course this is an experiment, but will have to wait until hackers gain control of it and make sure that the good things are turned bad.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    This is awesome!! Cant stop myself from commenting! Technology at newer levels. Now think about doing this to a robot, then things have many benefits.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    I totally agree with its utility on robots. In fact we are already developing in that area too. It would be very easy to control bigger machinery if we could communicate with machines. In heavier industries, this technology MIGHT be useful in some extent but I dont think it is applicable freely due to many risks. I don't know if anyone observed this but this technology is exactly like "Imperius" curse in Harry Potter. And there is a reason it is Unforgivable.
  • marcel Ripke
    marcel Ripke
    Nayan Goenka
    Isn't this a direct violation of human rights?
    One person can control the other doesn't seem valid to me. This technology if goes into wrong hands can screw up the entire system. It is too risky to be deployed in any section or field of work
    Have you thought about the possibilities when used in the right hands? Thinking like this makes even a pencil a possible weapon.

Rather you think of the ways this could improve the way of live for those who need this.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    marcelripke
    Have you thought about the possibilities when used in the right hands? Thinking like this makes even a pencil a possible weapon.

Rather you think of the ways this could improve the way of live for those who need this.
    The only difference here is, it is not a pencil. I am not against the technology. But this kind of tech if forged into weaponry is too advanced and too dangerous. You can block attack from a "PENCIL" not from someone controlling your brain.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I believe is that ultimately, this technology too, will be exploited. Internet was meant to be the network of computers so that people could share information and benefit from it. But majority of it goes into obscene things and Internet has become the biggest medium of spreading viruses and trojans - gone are the days when you had to insert a floppy into the target system to infect it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

if possible tell me the latest technology used in detecting faults??
Sony seems to have liked the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 11S, especially for its flexi body. Sony's engineers have developed a response to Lenovo with their latest VAIO Flipk PC. Check...
China is ready to launch Chang'e-3, its first unmanned robot to roll on the moon-land. The robot is expected to make it to the faraway planet by the end of...
Most of the ip addresses on a network range in class C which is 192.168.0.0, why class C? why not class B,C,D or E widely used?
I am having a serious trouble, a few months ago I noticed that my broadband usage was going up. I shut down all the automatic updates on all the softwares...