Boeing 797 - 1000 passengers & 10000 Miles

Quote:
Boeing is preparing a 1000 passenger jet that could reshape the Air travel industry for the next 100 years.The radical Blended Wing design has been developed by Boeing in cooperation with the NASA Langley Research Centre.The mammoth plane will have a wing span of 265 feet compared to the 747's 211 feet, and is designed to fit within the newly created terminals used for the 555 seat Airbus A380, which is 262 feet wide.The new 797 is in direct response to the Airbus A380 which has racked up 159 orders..Boeing decide to kill its 747X stretched super jumbo in 2003 after little interest was shown by airline companies, but has continued to develop the ultimate Airbus crusher 797 for years at its Phantom Works.
Endquote

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Question #1: Can that machine even fly? I've no knowledge of aerodynamic modelling, but with engines mounted at the back - how can that machine fly? 😨

Question #2: What's the problem with growth the size of airplane, keeping the shape just as it's at present? Maybe more passenger carrying capacity would mean that they'll need a larger wing-span (and then the airports and runways will have to be redesigned)?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    1. Somewhat like a bat. Aerodynamically this is a validated design. Actually better than the current shape.
    2. What has been achieved is larger wing area with smaller width. This shape has lower drag and better payload/fuel performance. NASA has been developing this for a while now.

I do not know how this will behave in gusting winds and cyclones.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Winds and cyclones are not such a threat as salt in the wind and locality

But turbulence can easily be withstanded using the existing design of the body of the flight

That would not have been the big challenge here But still tailless flight I am not a mechie to guess it out
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Just in case we didn't already know, this is a hoax:

Welcome to RunCloud

However, its still worth to discuss its design implications such as passenger comfort and safety.

I hate to be stuck on a seat with lack of window views 😛
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Another great achievement by the boeing.
    I still ask my little mind how can a small engine can lift a giant like Boeing.
    Still amused by the innovations.Yet to make mine.But I will definitely make mine.

😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Step Aside Google Glass? Fraunhofer’s Data Glasses Said to Truly Augment Reality The bidirectional OLED screens of the Fraunhofer's Data Glasses permit viewing the real world and the virtual world...
For those telecom / networking enthusiasts, Patexia has recently launched several contests in this area and offers $5000 to best answers. More details here: https://bit.ly/151e2m3
Tata Communications, the Indian global telecom company based in Mumbai, has launched a new on-demand video conferencing service called Jamvee. Tata's Jamvee is a a multi-device platform which does not...
In first and foremost unit of Electromagnetics Engineering, I read about different co-ordinate systems : - Cartesian (Rectangular) - Cylindrical - Spherical I know the advantage of Cylindrical co-ordinate system...
The general category seats in IITs are vacant as the wannabe engineers are refusing to join the IITs - the premium engineering colleges in India. TOI reports that as many...