Boarding Pass (e-Boarding Cards) On Mobile For Domestic Flights In India

Bureau of Civil Aviation Security aka BCAS of India is developing a new protocol to display a special bar-code card on passenger's mobile phone which can act as their boarding pass. Traditionally, the boarding passes were all paper based and required long queues to get them at the airline counter at airport. But with mobile delivery of the boarding pass, this process will become a lot easier and will help reduces the queues at airport. The airline will email passengers their respective boarding cards on registered mobile numbers and will have special scanners to perform verification.

At this point, the concept has been cleared. The only issue is to allow the passengers to carry their mobile phones at the time of security checks. The e-boarding pass mechanism is likely to be implemented at the Delhi airport.

slide

Indian Railways have been rapidly adopting newer ticketing and tracking technologies. Recently there was a news that Hyderabad metro railway station would be one of the first railway stations in India to get NFC based ticketing mechanism. The process is cost intensive and requires users to have NFC capable phones. On the other hand, the e-boarding mechanism is likely to work on any mobile phone capable of receiving emails.

eBoarding pass is just one way of ensuring security and reducing queues. What are other ways a boarding pass can work? Maybe the passenger can verify his photograph at the security checks?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Oh, my GOD! Going to Delhi tomorrow. Seat 7C. Hope I am not arrested as Osama bin Laden. Shall post after my release. If I am not hanged.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    bioramani
    Oh, my GOD! Going to Delhi tomorrow. Seat 7C. Hope I am not arrested as Osama bin Laden. Shall post after my release. If I am not hanged.
    The government is involved, sire 😀 . It'll take another year for them to setup a system that sends email 😉 . Don't worry.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Regular readers of VoiCE may remember our article about Philips Hue - a new kind of lighting system that offers a ton of cool features and iOS control. The Hue...
Investments in commodities and precious metals can be made indirectly through stocks, mutual funds, ETFs, or derivatives or people can directly buy or sell the commodity or precious metal itself....
Jay Sullivan Mozilla's VP of Product, that OpenSource/Not-For-Profit Organization is not going to code it's iOS version of Web browser as long as Apple don't mend their behaviour for Third...
When you're offering something on the Internet - should we call it a 'product' or a 'service'? Traditionally, a product is something that you can physically touch while service was...
Gujarat's solar project, in the Charanka village in Patan produces 214 MW of electricity every day, which is believed to be more than China (200 MW) and rest of India....