Blue-Green Algae Is The New Power Source - Concordia University

Team led by Prof. Muthukumaran Packirisamy at Concordia University has developed a new green power source - a cell that derives energy from photosynthesis of blue-green algae. The team published its research paper titled "Micro photosynthetic power cell for power generation from photosynthesis of algae" in the technology category of journal #-Link-Snipped-#.

Prof. Packirisamy informs that electron transfer chains are integral to two reactions viz. photosynthesis and respiration; that take place in the plant cells. Electric energy can be harnessed if the electrons released by the blue-green algae during these reactions are trapped.

He further adds that since these two reactions occur naturally and constantly all over the world, the new technology can create pathways for cheaper and efficient production of green, carbon-free energy. Packirisamy confirms that the technology is scalable to suit specific needs.

Blue-Green-Algae-Power-Source
Image Credit: Concordia University​

Though this invention is in its nascent stage, the research team is already working on making it ready for commercial consumption.

At present, the photosynthetic cell is available at a small scale and is created using anode-cathode combination along with a membrane for proton transfer. The blue-green algae (also known as cyanobacteria) are placed along with the anode in a chamber. During the process of photosynthesis, the algae releases electrons on the surface of the electrode which are harnessed by an external load connected to the cell.

Packirisamy is hopeful that his technology will find a way into future smartphones and computers as a source of power. The blue-green algae is available everywhere and contain energy; which the team believes can power the world.

Muthukumaran-Packirisamy
Image Credit: Concordia University​

This breakthrough comes at the right moment in time as the leaders around the world gather in France next week to find out a strategy to discover possible ways of reversal of carbon emissions. The goal is to reach carbon neutrality by the end of the current century. The answer to the problem might just be around us, in the form of algae.

Read more about the research on the source link below.

Source: Concordia researchers create a technology to harness the electrical energy from algae - Concordia University

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I m from chandigarh university, accord to university i am placed in cognizant in the on campus drive, its been more than 2 months now but havnt received any offer...
I am interested in electrical design and installation.Is there any course on this?How can i excel in this field?. I need some advices.
Apart from discreetly delivering your smartphone app notifications, wearables have started informing you about your health. It’s a year later and they are still limited to heart rate tracking but...
Wishing our founder and administrator @Kaustubh Katdare a very happy birthday. 😁
Li-Fi technology has been around for some time and the researchers working on it have recorded that it can send data at up to 1 GB per second which is...