Blu-Ray disc storage capacity upped to 100 Gb, for 4K friendly videos

The world's not yet convinced that the optical media is dying. While the electronics and computing giants like Apple have been cutting down optical drives from their machines for the sake of keeping the devices thinner, engineers at Singulus Technologies were busy testing out a new Blu-Ray disc format which can store about 100 Gb of data in a 4K friendly format. The German company has already ready with production tests of Blu-Ray discs that can store 100GB of data in three layers. The company says that their technology is ideal for storing very large sized 4K movies.

slide

Singulus technologies hasn't said much about the technology yet. It's still a mystery whether the new discs will play in our existing players. All the company says through their press release is that the realization of new methods for data compression have resulted into discs with more storage capacity. The technique allows storage volume per layer to be increased from 25 GB to 33 GB. While the Blu-Ray Disc Association aka BDA is currently working on the new specifications; Singulus has gone ahead with their own concepts.

Higher capacity discs would definitely be a welcome step if they are compatible with our existing Blu-Ray players. It'd also be a major push in the adoption of the 4K formats as the new Full HD (1080p). Expect the companies to push for 4K videos in coming years. You better be prepared with your savings and credit cards.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Optical Discs will survive as long as Gaming consoles are alive.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    Optical Discs will survive as long as Gaming consoles are alive.
    May be the gaming consoles would also be developed, and start using flash drives and other media instead of Optical Discs.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Sanyam Khurana
    May be the gaming consoles would also be developed, and start using flash drives and other media instead of Optical Discs.
    Then there will be no sharing of games. Which most gamers don't like.
    Also, the piracy of the games will increase if games are installed direct2drive. So, I don't think Optical discs are going anywhere.
    If Console developers wanted to use Flash drive then they would've did it in Xbox One & PS4.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think it's all being done because they really want to push the 4K technology hard. Otherwise, TV markets will slow down. They first tried to revive it with 3D technology; but the prices kept the consumers away. Plus the overall appeal of the 3DTV wasn't just as great as it was with the first versions of Full HD displays.

Consoles may keep them alive, but the real consumption of the 4K content will require optical media to be ready for it.

If 4G makes its way faster to the consumers; expect 4K to be a default standard in the next 3-6 years.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am an Automobile engineering student doing my Final year preparing for my campus placement. So I would like to collect some information on the construction materials in a automobile....
PLEASE LET ME KNOW,HOW TO UPDATE AUTO CAD 2007.
Outlooks.com team has announced IMAP support for the service. The Microsoft team officially declared the popular IMAP support is now being added to Outlook.com, which until now offered POP service....
Hi, I’m currently working on a project using sensor, microcontroller and relay. I was planning to use Arduino current sensor in circuit to detect its current usage and send it...
Someone was arguing me that we can not write 'anything we want' in catch block !! Is it so ? Are there any limitations on the code that we put...