Blog Transfer from WordPress.com to WordPress.org with with Dedicated hosting. Possible?

If I host a blog for sometime on WordPress.com with my own domain name, is it possible to migrate it as Wordpress.org blog on some hosting site later on.

More explanation :-

Say, I get a blog on WordPress.com which would be like example.wordpress.com, which wouldn't be cool, so I get a domain, and get it done with wordpress.com blog, ie, now my blog would get open up, if someone writes the domain name I got, instead of the original example.wordpress.com url.

Now, later on, if I migrate to a dedicated hosting, is it possible to have all my data on the blog, as it is to get transferred to WordPress.org account.?

Replies

• Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Damn!

I researched and found, it can't be done.! / it would cost more overall.

Moderators you may delete this .
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Yes, it's possible and I've done it. The simplest and the quickest way to do it is to use the wordpress 'export' tool (available in admin control panel). Here are the steps you'll have to execute-
    1. Perform a fresh install & configuration of wordpress on your dedicated host. it'd be a vanilla install with no content.
    2. Login to your existing wordpress.com blog. Navigate to the 'export' option and export 'all' your content in XML format.
    3. Login to your new wordpress install. Go to 'import' option in admin control panel. Import the XML.
    4. Choose your wordpress permanent link structure.
    5. Install appropriate theme & plugins.
    6. Start blogging on your own domain!
    It's that easy!

PS: You can also configure your own domain to redirect to your existing blog so that if someone types sanyamsblog.com - they'll view your existing blog and never know that you're hosting it on wordpress.com. It will remove all the hassles from hosting and maintaining server.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    But I found, that if I rename the wordpress blog with my own domain name, I've to pay like $99 per year to WordPress, (One of my team mates checked this thing)

Then getting a hosting would be better, as it would be cheaper.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    But I found, that if I rename the wordpress blog with my own domain name, I've to pay like $99 per year to WordPress, (One of my team mates checked this thing)

Then getting a hosting would be better, as it would be cheaper.
    Your friend is obviously looking at wrong place. The most authentic information can be found on following page: #-Link-Snipped-#

It states -
    • Registering a .com, .org, or .net domain through WordPress.com and mapping that domain to your blog starts at $18.00 per domain and per year, or $25.00 per domain and per year for a .me or .co domain. For $8.00 more, you can also make the domain registration private.
    • Mapping a domain you already own costs $13.00 per domain, per year.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks for your valuable reply really helped.

Now let me try this and hope it works fine
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# It costs $18 for registration & blog redirect to custom url (say abhishekrawal.com) right ?
    Since WP allots 3GB to users, and for writing tutorials it seems enough.
    So, is it better alternative than buying domain from godaddy or anyother web hosting providers ?

What I mean is, right now I work in free blog (say xyz.wordpress.com) but once I have added more than 50 tutorials, I pay $18 to WP for xyz.com (registration & redirect)
    Is it better than buying domain & webhosting service in godaddy ?
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    I have a question, if We buy domain from WordPress, and later when change the hosting, then we'll migrate all the contents to the new hosting, but how will we renew the domain?

From WordPress itself or any other?

@#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# It costs $18 for registration & blog redirect to custom url (say abhishekrawal.com) right ?
    Since WP allots 3GB to users, and for writing tutorials it seems enough.
    So, is it better alternative than buying domain from godaddy or anyother web hosting providers ?

What I mean is, right now I work in free blog (say xyz.wordpress.com) but once I have added more than 50 tutorials, I pay $18 to WP for xyz.com (registration & redirect)
    Is it better than buying domain & webhosting service in godaddy ?
    I think, we would start it and buy domain at the same time, or else, we can loose the domain name, it can get registered by any other person.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - If you do not own a domain already (from the registrar), and want WordPress.com to host the blog; you can buy it from WP.com from $18 a year. Once you buy it; you can simply enter the domain in WP.com's admin panel and start accessing your blog from your custom domain address.

This will *NOT* include setting up 301 redirects from your old blog to new blogs; which you will have to do on your own. This step is optional if your existing posts aren't drawing huge traffic.

3GB is more than enough for any blog, even with image attachments to every blog post. You should be able to comfortably write 2000+ posts in 3GB space.

If you want 100% control over your website and server; then you should consider buying hosting space. I hope you've read my articles on hosting websites.

If you are willing to be responsible for your website's security, software upgrade, theming and development; you should go for fully hosted solution. But if you want to focus on content and use WP.com's existing infrastructure, $18 isn't a huge price to pay. For the records sake; CE's hosting bill amounts to several hundred dollars every month - and that doesn't include the optimisations; performance, CDN costs. Plus as an admin; it's my duty to ensure that the site keeps running 24x7. So consider all the aspects before you decide.

@#-Link-Snipped-# - WordPress.com allows their customers to renew their domain. You should see the information in the domain registration interface.

As I've said before; you've to figure out what you're going to do; and what you'll need. If you don't see yourself doing anything else apart from blogging (with your website); it's better to go with the wp.com option. It will take a lot of pain and give you time to educate yourself about hosting solutions.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks, just one last question.
    Does WP.com supports multi/admin or multi/author blogs?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sanyam Khurana
    Thanks, just one last question.
    Does WP.com supports multi/admin or multi/author blogs?
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Samsung has been spotted developing a new phablet according to a FCC Listing. Codenamed SM-G7102 - this phablet has a 5.2-inch screen (same as the Galaxy Note) and there's no...
Let me start off with an example: Say you want to buy a latest gadget: say a Smartphone or a Laptop. You imagine you can accomplish milestones if you have...
Macbook Air & Intel's Haswell is an amazing combination. Just spotted something that's super awesome on a machine that's running OS X Mavericks and all the default applications. Check -...
Harmonic frequency = kf_r = αf_c + βf_r=α(20f_r) + βf_r = (20α+β)f_r. Here, signal frequency f_r =f= ω_r/2π = 50Hz. carrier frequency f_c = ω_c/2π=1kHz Find the amplitude of the...
A new technology is developed which will make circuit printing easy as pie, it uses Inkjet printers to print the circuits. No more etching! The equipments to print circuit using...