Blackle

Blackle is nothing but a black version of google.

#-Link-Snipped-#

A few months ago, a post titled Black Google Would Save 750 Megawatt-hours a Year. The post lays out the following train of thought. "An all white web page uses about 74 watts to display, while an all black page uses only 59 watts." Google, which has a white background and gets about "200 million queries a day" could reduce global energy use by 750 Megawatt-hours a year by simply changing the color of its homepage to black.

*In response to this post a black version of Google emerged called **Blackle.com* *. According to Blackle's homepage at publication time, 4,408.917 Watt hours have been saved. But how does the search measure up? Very well indeed. Give it a whirl yourself and start saving energy one search at a time.

(how about we guys implement the same idea..ha ha ha)

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, how many of us really use blackle instead of Google? Anyway, I'm still wondering if Blackle's concept is so nice, why is Google not shifting from #FFFFFF to #000000
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Its not really visually stimulating, haha. I like the concept though. Any enviroment-saving scheme is always good!

Along the lines of what friendster is saying, maybe we can have different skin options for CE 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hold on fellas!

Black doesn't really save the energy. Check out this post on Google Blog -

Official Google Blog: Is black the new green?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah damn, such false hope. But, I am indeed viewing from a CRT monitor 😉 Viewing black on old monitors does save some sorta power.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

Info on black vs white power savings here:
    ecoIron - All these whirring boxes.: The Full Story on Black Google, Blackle, etc.
  • suyash
    suyash
    but is there any facility on CE to change skin/theme of CE for users?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We had. Maybe will have in future. But there's no such facility right now.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Regardless, this is a kick ass theme 😉
  • geminihunter
    geminihunter
    There are around 25 different versions of “black google” online. The best one I’ve found is #-Link-Snipped-#. Cleanblack is the only version that allows you to change the text colors of the google search results. Try it yourself by going to #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everybody.......... please share some ideas.about the train accidents........ if a bogie of train derails or if it is caught in fire...........how to save lives of people....in it.......... can anyone...
Hi, I have been trading in the stock market for some period but I don’t feel that I have been able to make the sort of profits that could be...
Hello CEans, It takes me great pleasure in announcing that Sugih Jamin, Chairman, CTO and co-founder of Zattoo, world's first commercial IPTV has agreed to have a small talk with...
I'm a 4th year student in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, option of Telecommmunication. I'm really need a good idea for my final year project. Please if you have any idea...
Hie.... i need some study material regarding "fault detection using wavelets-theoretical aspects"... pls giv me d material r any links if u can.. waiting 4 ur rply.....