Blackberry's Virtual SIM To Offer 9 Mobile Numbers On One Device

Blackberry is planning to introduce a new Virtual SIM in India that will let people have 9 different mobile numbers on one device. The Canadian company has been trying to revive its business in India as a leader in enterprise and security domain. The new technology is called Virtual SIM Provisioning aka VSP which Blackberry got access to through acquisition of Movirtu - a leading virtual identity solutions player based in London in September 2014. India is not the first country to get this technology via Blackberry. The company is already offering similar solution in Africa; informed Blackberry MD, Sunil Lalvani.

The primary target for the service is likely to be the professionals who will be able to host multiple business and personal numbers on a single device - typically useful in companies that have the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) policy in place. Often, the employees have to carry multiple devices to work which is not very convenient. There are a lot of dual-SIM phone choices available in India; but there's no concrete solution available when your work demands you to be accessible on multiple (more than two) phone numbers. The Virtual SIM solution will address this problem very effectively.

Each of the number hosted on Virtual SIM will have its own billing for voice services, data services as well as messaging. The VSP solution will also work in sync with Blackberry's Enterprise Services (BES) - which allows the IT companies to set up appropriate policies for business phone numbers offered to the employees.

Blackberry-Virtual-SIM-VSP
Image Source: #-Link-Snipped-#​

Apparently, India is an appropriate market for Blackberry to roll out the Virtual SIM services. Lalvani informed ET that about 30L devices are shipped in India every month with Dual-SIM capability. Blackberry is now planning to roll out the service by the end of 2015 and is in talks with authorities for the compliance with regulatory framework.

At the time of launch, the Virtual SIM will host multiple phone numbers offered by a single telecom service operator. This is not a technology related issue but a regulatory one. The KYC norms do not allow Virtual SIM to have different carriers host numbers for a single user. We'd like to ask our readers their opinion on having access to 9 different mobile numbers on a single phone. Do you think that'll be incredibly useful?

Source: One SIM, 9 Numbers? BlackBerry plans to roll out Virtual SIM Provisioning in India by year end - The Economic Times

Replies

• flrestate2014
    flrestate2014
    waiting for that device as it will give me an option to use all my company phone numbers into a single device. it will be a very useful gadget for me as after office ours i can run all my phones on the device.
  • Mukesh Mahla
    Mukesh Mahla
    i don't think it will be a hit for masses..it's a niche product and will have niche customer base only
  • Sam Denis Wilson
    Sam Denis Wilson
    If it includes international numbers too then I am sure it would be a great success, specially for executives like me who have to travel to and fro from one international domain to another.
  • MahiFromIndia
    MahiFromIndia
    First of all - We don't know whether regulatory govt organization would allows it in India or not . Until we hear firm answer from such organizations, its just a waste of time to discuss about it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Usually I just tar cvpzf backup.tgz --exclude=/lost+found --exclude=/backup.tgz --exclude=/mnt /then I just copy backup tar in my other drive or external drive. Re-install bare Arch and tar xvpfz backup.tgz -C...
In the company's own words, a two year odyssey has brought a new borderless smartphone to ZTE Corporation. Called the ZTE Nubia Z9, here's a new Android 5.0 Lollipop OS...
Quote: At BIOMEDevice Boston on May 6, Segway inventor and veteran medical device inventor Dean Kamen had some words of wisdom for engineers—gained from his experience developing an array of...
Quote: Guitar maintenance can be a frustrating and expensive business. This instructable aims to help with that. If I missed something you think should be included, let me know; likewise,...
Pioneer India has announced the launch of its new car entertainment headunit with model number AVIC-F970BT. The company has a range of car infotainment products including speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, head...