Blackberry Messenger (BBM) Now Allows Self Destructing Messages

Blackberry is trying to reinvent itself to stay relevant in the smartphone markets across the world. An important part of Blackberry ecosystem is the software it makes. The ever popular Blackberry Messenger application now offers self destructing messages (a la Snapchat) and also offers message retraction. The updated version of BBM has been made available across all the platforms viz. Blackberry OS, Android and iOS.

The feature, called 'Timed Messages' allow you to send self destructing messages. It allows the sender to define how long will the receiver will have access to the pictures or text you've sent via BBM. As soon as the set time for the message expires, the message is deleted from the recipient's application. If the receiver takes a screenshot of the message, the sender is alerted about the same as well. Blackberry believes that this feature will give the users of blackberry more control over their own privacy.

Blackberry-BBM

The second addition to the latest BBM, called Retractable Messages will allow the sender to retract the message before it's read by the receiver. The receiver will not know about the message that has been retracted. Both the features are being offered as 'premium features' but will be free for the first three months.

The latest update also lets the users send and receive full versions of the pictures (without any compression). You should be able to get access to all these new features over the next few days via an update.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    wow
    i like the features !!!
    It so intrigueing
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I could never understand the reason behind popularity of snapchat. I mean, why in the world would anyone send a message that must get deleted after some time? ...and the option to take a screenshot is always there - so the receiver can of course save the photo before it's automatically deleted.

I however like the retractable messaging feature (and whatsapp should add it too!). There are times when you send message to wrong recipient or just want to edit a few things. I don't use BBM anyways; but would love to have comments from those who are active users of BBM.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    I am a whatsapp fan, but BBM is not bad either !
    (One can always take screenshot but would not do always, so a bit of security; Also if you are sending a big file, snapchat would ensure that it got destroyed and you are not to be blamed to fill the phone memory of others).

meanwhile
    The updated version of BBM has been made available across all the platforms viz. Blackberry OS, Android and iOS.
    They haven't released the update on windows?
    Is this a miss on adding or they ignored the windows based BBM considering lesser user base.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi All, I have 3 years of experience in IT industry and presently i am working with Adobe India. Now, i feel like i should pursue M.S from Abroad. 1)Could...
So, I upgraded my Macbook (2009) to Mac OS X Yosemite a few days back and have been facing a peculiar issue. Whenever I open any image using the Preview...
Scientists have found out a way that will make it easier for them to suck the blood out of your veins - for scientific tests, research or donating it to...
Qulp is a collaborative product innovation company that develops your ideas into real products. Founded by Vinay Degavath in the year 2013, the Qulp team develops customer's amazing ideas into...
Hello Friends, I am almost completing my btech and looking for a job. I was selected by a startup myrefers as a .NET developer. Should I join them or should...