Bionic Eye Uses Electronics To Fix Retina

Bioengineering professor Wentai Liu has developed a bionic eye that uses some sophisticated electronics to fix the retina related problems which may help the blind. The bionic eye is called "Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System" and has been demonstrated to help people who have lost eyesight because of retinitis pigmentosa (RP), age-related macular degeneration or other eye diseases that affect the retina’s light-sensitive photoreceptors. A powerful electronics chip developed by Liu has been implemented in the retina allows replacement of damaged photoreceptors. The Argus II uses a miniature video camera mounted on pair of eyeglasses. The camera is coupled with the a microprocessor on user's waistband. The microprocessors transmit photo-information to a fingernail-sized circuit that stimulate retina's nerve cells to recreate the image as seen by the cameras.

artificial-retina-bionic-eye
Image Credit: Doheny Retina Institute, USC.​

Check out following video that shows the whole setup and explains how the new bionic eye works.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering how does indoor GPS work? I'm reading the news that Apple has taken over the control of WiFiSLAM - a startup that offered GPS inside the buildings using...
Here's an interesting debate for everyone who's interested in entrepreneurship, startups and have been following the Indian startups scene. Do you think all the moderately and highly successful companies in...
the following table gives you the length of steel bars in ft. per hollow block installed at specified distances of ver. and hor. bars. The values in the table includes...
CEans, I'm excited to inform you that we've a new section on CE dedicated to all the events happening in the engineering / technology space all over the world. This...
EPFL Scientists alongwith a group of scientists developed a minute electronic device(a Tiny Blood testing Lab) which is capable of monitoring the blood's data & transmit the recorded data wirelessly....