Bio Robots To Study Fisheries & Mineral Resources Will Soon Enter Indian Ocean

As reported by Xinhua, Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (CSIRO) made an announcement at Canberra that robots armed with sensors would be launched in Indian Ocean to study vast fisheries and mineral resources that are of importance to India as well as Australia. They will target specific gaps in understanding ecosystems in Indian Ocean which is of great concern to both the countries. CSIRO said that Bio Argo will be launched by mid-2014.

Bio Robot

Bio Robots are the robots that emulate living organisms chemically or mechanically. It is learned that this project- Bio Argo led by CSIRO in collaboration with Indian National Institute of Oceanography (CSIR-NIO) and Indian National Center for Ocean Information Services will improve understanding of cause and effect in climate and ecosystems in Indian Ocean. Under this project, a large network of bio robots will be launched floating on ocean surface proving real time data about salinity, temperature and level of minerals. These robots will have various sensors for dissolved oxygen, nitrate level, chlorophyll, dissolved organic matter and particle scattering. The floating sensors will be present at different depths and report data via satellite.

CSIRO authorities are trying to understand interior biology of ocean. They are studying phenomena such as - what is driving the food webs and how carbon is being taken up. By studying Indian Ocean in this detail, they will be investigating the origin and impact of marine heat waves like the one that devastated the coral reefs and fisheries off north Western Australia in 2011 and improve our prediction of them in future. CSIR-NIO director Wajih Naqvi said that innovative project will give researchers from both the countries a chance to understand Indian Ocean to new depths. The project costing which is stated as $880,000 is funded by Australian Government under Australia-India Strategic Research Fund.

What are the opinions of biotechnology enthusiasts on this one? Share with us in comments.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is a great step forward for India as well as Australia. I think that India shouls also plan for mining the ocean bed along with Japan for rare earths-minerals and other rich deposits. Ocean mining is the answer to so many unresolved questions and mysteries. Japanese, I believe, are masters in this arena.
  • Dhananjay Harkare
    Dhananjay Harkare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# yes definitely. It may also reveal many facts on Uranium deposits (sethu samudram project) in Indian Ocean.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi... myself Priyanka Pathak from Jabalpur, MP I'm doing B.E in Electrical and Electronics Branch from a private college (RGPV University MP ) i'll complete my Bachelor's Degree this year...
Imagine of a cell phone that never needs charging! Wouldn't it be great if a cell phone gets charged when it is on stand-by? No need to worry about the...
how we find the change in current of MCCB when temperature changes consider trip time is constant, give an mathematical expression also.
Lenovo, world’s largest PC manufacturer, will buy Google Inc’s Motorola Mobility handset unit for about $2.91 Billion, as per reports. This would give the Chinese company a bigger say in...
It's no brainer that accumulation of dust on the surface of solar panels, also called 'soiling', is one of the main reasons that affects the efficiency of solar power plants....