Best position for router antenna - and why?

I've a router with three antenna and I've positioned them as \ | / , thinking that it'd cover a wide area. I was wondering if putting all the three in the vertical position viz. | | | would offer better range and signal strength.

Has anyone experimented with this? Would love to know your results and observations. Also curious to know why a specific position gives better signal strength / range etc.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Doesn't it totally depends on the type of Antenna used in Router ?
  • Olu_Ola
    Olu_Ola
    the best position is the I I I position. This is because of the radiation pattern of the antenna (doughnut shape). This position will make the radiated fields parallel to the floor and would give the highest highest signal strength
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you, #-Link-Snipped-# . Will try if keeping the antenna in ||| position helps. Could you tell me what is the overall angle of the spread of the radiation in ||| position?
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    I think placing the three antennas perpendicular to each other will give the maximum coverage.
    According to former Apple engineer,placing one antenna straight up and the other two in two horizontal directions,the radio reception will be maximum no matter in which way your device's antenna is oriented.
    Also it depends on which type of router you are using.
    This is in the case of omnidirectional antennas.
  • Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    As mentioned by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-#, most of the routers have omnidirectional antennas whose signal radiation spreads in the pattern of doughnut. The radiation is maximum in a plane perpendicular to the antenna and goes on decreasing as one goes to the ends of the antenna.

Hence to get a maximum signal from the router to your laptop etc., one should keep all three antennas:
    1. Parallel to each other
    2. Perpendicular to imaginary line of sight connecting your laptop position to somewhere in the middle of the antenna.
    upload_2014-7-25_16-31-11
    upload_2014-7-25_16-31-41
    If all the three antennas are interconnected as single set, which is usually the case in maximum indoor routers, then all three should be positioned parallel to each other as a single set: ||| or \\\ or ///. If there are three antennas in total, two antennas connected as pair and remaining antenna connected as a separate transmitter, then the two sets can be pointed in different directions: ||/ or ||\ etc.

But as we have multiple devices using the same router, the antennas can be kept in \|/ position. As the range of operation for all devices mobiles, laptops, etc is confined indoor and does not extend beyond few meters, I think difference in signal due to \\\ ||| /// or \|/ position would not be noticeable. Please comment if anyone notices difference in signal due to change in antenna positions.

Source:
    Omnidirectional Antenna
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dipole_antenna#Radiation_pattern_and_gain

P.S. What would Mr. Spock do? \\/

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

When the news of Ex-Apple CEO John Sculley backing the home-grown company - Obi Mobiles came forth, it did turn a lot of eyes towards the new entrant in the...
Hello Every Body, I M Ananta Mohanty Civil ( Structural) Engineer from Odisha, India Performing Government Job Interested in magic and reading books other than engineering job.
Determination of Barrier Potential V0 in p-n junction Or Contact difference V0 in p-njunction Or Boltzmann Relationship (Asked many a times in exams) 1. Consider a p-type of semiconductors with...
Afolayan Oluwaseyi is my name. A computer engineering final year student in Nigeria. Nice being a member of this community.
How much placement possibility in the course of DIVESD (vlsi embedded system) at CDAC centres? Will all centre be eligible in pune placement drives? what is placement criteria i means...