Best IDE For Ubuntu - Choices?

Hello all,

You must be superlatively good at handling codes, so pardon my lack of knowledge for I have only coded on Windows and only on VS. I have recently installed Ubuntu 14.10 and want to work with an open source code (editing that code). I am on the look out for a light (not too much of disk space is at my disposal) yet dynamic, enjoyable IDE.

P.S: It should be good for code handling, too 😁 Suggest IDEs you have used on Ubuntu. The only ones I have read about on the internet are Emacs and VIM. Comment on them, if you can. I also would like to know about any experiences on Atom.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I would recommend "geany" to you. Lightweight, simple and fast, just like the way you want.
    Vim is by far the best tool in the world but undoubtedly it's not for beginners. Atom is much focused for Web development if I am not wrong. If you're just going to edit codes and gonna do simple things even editor (like gedit, pluma, kate) will do.

For beginners :
    Geany
    Code blocks
    Sublime text (this one is not opensource)

My favourite (no specific order) :
    Vim
    QTcreator
    Kdevelop
    Kate
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I installed Kate already. I did try VIM earlier. The console almost told me that this was non-noob stuff 😁 I dont think I can handle ATOM right now. I installed as a trial in office and corrupted a file 😛
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What programming languages will you be working on? Also, do you want a good code/text editor or a full fledged IDE? My suggestions would depend on that. For full fledged IDEs my recommendations would be Eclipse, Aptana (open sourced) and if you don't mind shelling out a few bucks; take a look at the IDEs available from JetBrains.

Apart from Kate and the ones suggested by #-Link-Snipped-# , have a look at Scintilla and SciTE

But if you ready to be a REAL PROGRAMMER, look at this -

real_programmers
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    I would like to have a full fledged IDE eventually. When my priority would be to create a distributable with source and installer. But right now, it is just baby steps for me, I am just getting to know the inbuilt functionalities, walk through the code files, debug and learn. I suppose a code editor should suffice for now.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nope! Start with an IDE. You'll be surprised how incredibly helpful it is. Finding references, implementations, declarations come in very handy with a full fledged IDE.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    So you are suggesting Eclipse? Coz that is the one I have heard tonnes about.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Try Intellij Idea community edition (free) if it supports your language, you will be surprised how advance it is 😀.
    For PHP, PHP storm.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    No PHP for me (dont even know what that is). I would be working with C++.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    There is another version for C++ is CLion from JetBrains. It's in beta kind of phase but, try it.
    CLion: A Cross-Platform IDE for C and C++ by JetBrains
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anoop Kumar
    Try Intellij Idea community edition (free) if it supports your language, you will be surprised how advance it is 😀.
    For PHP, PHP storm.
    I've been using phpStorm for several weeks now and thoroughly impressed! Makes entire development thing a breeze (I'm not a very experienced programmer).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Panasonic, which was initially hesitant to enter the curved TV market seems to have succumbed to the pressure. Yesterday, Panasonic announced that they have added the curved screen to the...
Project Abstract / Summary : This project “Remote Desktop Administration”, a derivative of Remote Administration Application, is a network based project. The objective of this project is to develop an...
Google has acknowledged that the latest bug in Gmail is affecting the autocomplete suggestions for contacts in your TO, CC and BCC fields of email compose window. If you were...
If you had a recent trip to a hospital nearby for someone close to you who was admitted there, you are familiar with the scent in the hospital air, the...
I think this thread needs a lot more response from engineering students who actively apply for sponsorship for their college's events / techfest / magazines etc. I hear that a...