Best book for Database system concepts for students/developers?

We have a lot of programmers here, I thought of making a collection of the best books that one can use to learn database systems.

The books I've referred during college days are:

1. Database System Concepts - Henry Korth, S.Sudarshan and Abraham Silberschatz.
(We called it Korth)
2. Database Systems by Garcia- Molina / Ullman / Wisdom
(We called it Ullman)

Any more suggestions?
Tagging #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#

It would be great if you can add what part of the book you liked the most or what should the student focus on while referring the book. Thanking you in advance.

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Fundamentals of Database Systems by Ramez Elmasri and Shamkant B. Navathe.
  • Vikram S Bargah
    Vikram S Bargah
    1. Fundamental of Database Systems By Navathe & Gupta
    (Pearsons Publications)

2. NPTEL IITm
  • Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande
    Following two books seems to be good one on databases and SQL from O'RELLY :
    1. SQL and Relational Theory: How to Write Accurate SQL Code.
    2. Head First SQL.

Some other-
    1.Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management by Thomas M. Connolly ,Carolyn E. Begg 4th Edition.
    2. Relational Database Design Clearly Explained(The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Data Management Systems) 2nd Edition by Jan L. Harrington.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks for tag ankita, but unfortunately I can't suggest any book as I have never followed any book, during my engineering days, I used to learn from presentations on a certain topic and then I learnt while working on live projects

However my friends used to learn from Korth, I am not sure but may be because it was good
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    We do not have Database as a subject but my Roommate and few other friends from Computer Science discipline used to carry Database book authored by Korth.
  • WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    WARDHAMAN BEDMUTHA
    I have never read any book on database however I have heard most about following book s:
    1.Database System Concepts - Henry Korth
    2.Head First SQL
  • Jatin Kumar
    Jatin Kumar
    Never done it through books,
    I learned Database through
    0.W3CSchools.com and
    1.Lynda.com
    2.kudvenkat
    YouTube channels.
  • Vishal Sharma
    Vishal Sharma
    Jatin Asija
    Never done it through books,
    I learned Database through
    0.W3CSchools.com and
    1.Lynda.com
    2.kudvenkat
    YouTube channels.
    Lynda was a very good suggest. Best video series you can get about any technology.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just thinking how can we make Aladdin Flying Carpet. 😀 if we take a rectangle wooden/plastic board, wrap it with nice silk cloth put 4 small drones on all corners,...
With almost each and every person around the world having atleast one smartphone, if not more, as per YouTube, more than half of the videos watched on its site are...
iam doing final year b tech in aeronautical, please suggest some aero related topics for my main project
(NOTE: I am not eligible to submit this. Not for evaluation. Just for fun.) In the late fifties a student of Andhra University Chemical Technology had to undergo three months...
Folks over at Micromax are surely having a very busy week. They just announced that a media conference has been arranged on July 27 in New Delhi. The news came...