Benefits of Nitrogen in Car Tyres

I was wondering if there are any benefits of filling Nitrogen in car tyres over regular air. I'm totally aware that Nitrogen is already the major component of air, occupying about 78% of it and the rest is mostly Oxygen. So is there any advantage (or even disadvantage) of filing pure Nitrogen in your car or bike tyres? The answer turns out to be 'yes'!

Following are the reasons you should prefer nitrogen over regular air in your tyres:-

1. Nitrogen will stay inside your tyres for longer than regular over oxygen from regular air. This means that you will be able to maintain the tyre pressure for a longer duration. You must be aware that maintaining the recommended pressure in tyres is one of the major contributors of the better fuel efficiency.

2. The nitrogen filled tyre will endure temperature better and show lesser pressure change. This leads to consistent inflation pressure when the vehicle is moving at higher speeds.

3. One major component of air is humidity - which is not good thing to have inside the tyre. Water in vapor or liquid form inside the tyre will cause pressure change with temperature more. The water vapour is also likely to cause the corrosion of the metallic rim.

Unfortunately, the process to get dry nitrogen inside your tyres is lengthy process. It involves filling and removing the gas multiple times to reduce the amount of oxygen.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    My take as a chemE:
    1. As you said the diffusivity of nitrogen is higher Four times more than oxygen) but there is four times more nitrogen in air than oxygen. So the relative loss is not as high as popularly (notwithstanding the pun)as said.
    2. The thermal expansionproperties of all gases is the same. If the temperature of the tyre goes up, as it will on running, there can be a bit of oxidation of the rubber, which will have some effect (though small) on the residual oxygen.
    3. The pressure at the compressor is more than in the tyre. Water tends to condense before it enters. In any case water vapor does not have a thermal expansion coefficient different from air/nitrogen. Liquid water is very unlikely at least in most of India at all seasons.
    This article if one is inclined to go through it fully gives a lot of info on this much touted advance. Almost matches fair and lovely. Interestingly with time you anyeway end with more nitrogen in the tyre even if only air is filled.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Friends I am planning to set up a home security alarm system for my house, Please suggest me one
hi kaustubh katdare this is chandrakanth(2014 passout, and ,my stream is instrumentation tech). I was very much interested in coding but the problem is with my stream backgroud. I did...
ISRO (Indian Space Research Organisation) is in the process of commissioning a multipurpose, 'Made In India' RADAR that can track space debris. This multi-object tracking radar was introduced by M...
Although the 2014-15 season of Barclays English Premier League is about to come to an end for the Liverpool supporters, there is something new awaiting them. Lava's sub-brand XOLO has...
WhatsApp has recently made available their latest material design to all the users. The new UI offers new colors, updated profiles, group photos etc. There are new icons, animations and...