Bell Lab Researchers Use Noise Cancelling Headphones Concept To Improve Fiber Optics

Every signal traveling through a transmission medium gathers noise and as the distance increases so does the noise. #-Link-Snipped-# are good but what if we can use a pre-existing technology to improve the noise reduction process. You are well aware how noise cancelling headphones work - the microphone present in the headphones captures the ambient sounds and generates the inverse signal that cancels out the noise. Dr Xiang Liu of Bell Laboratories in New Jersey, USA took the above noise cancelling concept and applied it to networking. The team added the phase conjugate of the signal being transmitted through the fiber optic cable along with the actual signal. During the transmission noise will surely be added to the signal and also to its phase conjugate signal. So at the receiver’s end when both signals are superimposed the noise signals will cancel each other out and the original signal can be easily retrieved.

Sample Fiber Optic Image

The problem with sending a powerful signal is that the noise added to a signal is directly proportional to the signal power. So we often have to limit the power which means that the signals cannot travel to longer distances. Since the team does not have to worry about noise, they managed to send a signal of 400 Gbps down a distance of 12,800km optical fiber by using this method.

For a detailed report you may refer to their #-Link-Snipped-#.

Source: Light-beam 'twins' take data farther - BBC News

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Nokia India has revealed on its website that the company's new flagship phone Lumia 925 is 'coming soon'. Unveiled earlier this month, Nokia Lumia 925 is the smartphone with the...
It is with shame and sincere regret that I write here about this topic, particularly with respect to India. I've lived my entire schooling in Kuwait, and there has not...
Samsung recently announced event ‘Premiere 2013’ scheduled for June 20 at Earls Court 2, London, where it’ll be unveiling latest additions to its Galaxy and ATIV portfolio. Tech enthusiasts may...
On VoiCE you have already read about the Black Hornet Nano UAV and Me Cam and how they are being used for military and civilian purposes respectively, but this time...
The Indian Online Railway Reservation System dependent wholly and solely on the IRCTC website is now taking part in what appears to be a stunt of sorts. The news became...