Bearings Without Grease & Retainers Eliminate Sliding Friction

There has been no significant innovation in the bearings design ever since Leonardo Da Vinci designed them about 5 centuries ago. Bearings are extremely important part of machines and have found applications in automobiles and electrical appliances as well. A Japanese company, that goes by the name of 'Coo Space' has developed innovative bearings that are greaseless and eliminate the sliding friction. Before I write further, check out this awesome video demonstration -

The traditional bearing design makes grease an essential component during operations. It's the sliding that occurs between the retainers (required to stop balls from sticking to each other) and the balls that makes the use of grease important. However, the Coo Space's design eliminates the retainers and hence the grease to make an impressive bearing.

The new design principle uses speeding up and slowing down of the balls using indentations in the outer ring. The separation created between the balls allows the overall friction to be reduced by a factor of 10. The result is very impressive, as demonstrated in the video.

Would love to have opinions from our fellow mechanical engineers. What do you think about the design. Can it be improved further?

Replies

• omprakash patil
    omprakash patil
    Looks great idea by minimising part and modifying geometry of other part i.e.elimnating retainer and making groove or depth in outer ring.But as balls pass through it as they start with same motion and velocity ,as 1st ball passes on groove it slows down and gaining speed again after passing on just like Motorcycle slows down on speed breaker and accelerates ,well but u have to consider preceding ball velocity too as there is possibility it can collide first ball and so on to others as they r in different speed rates in that particular time momemt which can create disturbance in running condition possible failure by damaging balls (which can increse maintainace cost for longer runs). So proper amount of depth of groove is major design factor. Also in dynamic loading condition where speed is changing feequently it will be critical to maintain smooth operation.
    Just my observation.but grt idea.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    A great design modification, I read more on it and this website These New Greaseless Bearings Can Spin Virtually Forever

provides better details on what it actually does! Just imagining how the response to throttle would be, since it would have to consider the balls overcoming the bumps in the design.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Hi,
    I have been absent for along time now but I am back and boy its nice to return to a great topic like this

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In context to neural networks and machine learning, what is meant by 'contaminated training set'?
What is that sound coming out of two wheeler after hault when they r go for long run ,its sounds like tic tic and then it slows down after some...
The word 'anthropomorphism' has a meaning that could seem 'creepy' to some. Assigning human characteristics to any not-human thing may sound like a plot from a thriller movie, but a...
So this exists! For real! The first real-life hoverboard built and designed by Catalin Alexandru Duru. And now he has a guinness world record for it: Anyone else here remembers...
Dr. Vijay Nath, assistant professor at BIT Mesra Electrical and Communications Engineering department will receive sponsorship from Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to research and develop special sensors for missiles....